Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: All the right moves

With all the moves the Eagles have made the Falcons have been somewhat forgotten, despite the fact that they had the best record in the NFC last year. They've added Ray Edwards and Julio Jones and kept Blalock and Clabo. Their only significant losses were Jerious Norwood and Michael Jenkins, neither of whom they really tried to keep. They have gotten better, though I don't necessarily think they'll have more wins than last year (it's tough to top 13) and a 2nd straight division title isn't a foregone conclusion, the Saints have gotten better too.
    Last edited by Andy Freeland; 08-03-2011 at 09:42 AM.

Dario, you're right.

Andy, I think the reason people overlook the Falcons is because they're not flashy. They didn't dominate any aspect of the game last season. Kinda boring.

There's the possibility that could change this season. Julio Jones, of course. And if Edwards and Abraham can tag-team the QB, we might see some nice defensive highlights.

I agree wxwax, which is kind of strange considering the talent they have at the skill positions. Not many teams can top Turner, Ryan, Gonzalez, White and Jones. But they are a run first team, which wins games, but also means they don't get as much exposure on the highlight shows as downfield passing teams. I also don't know that people trust them to continue to get better since they've had back to back winning seasons only one time in their history (but that one time was '09-10).

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Freeland View Post
    I agree wxwax, which is kind of strange considering the talent they have at the skill positions. Not many teams can top Turner, Ryan, Gonzalez, White and Jones. But they are a run first team, which wins games, but also means they don't get as much exposure on the highlight shows as downfield passing teams. I also don't know that people trust them to continue to get better since they've had back to back winning seasons only one time in their history (but that one time was '09-10).
    I see a lot of Green Bay in this team. And byu that I mean the Green Bay from 1997-2007. A good team that should compete fora a decade, but not having the oomph to win it all. They will always be jsut a little bit lacking at one aspect of the game, or come across a buzz saw that will knock them out.
    "Make sure you come to the game day chat to see my feeble attempts at typing there, it's abhorrent. "
    or as gobig calls it "Ragaring"

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Freeland View Post
    I also don't know that people trust them to continue to get better since they've had back to back winning seasons only one time in their history (but that one time was '09-10).
    Hard to blame people for being skeptical, given the franchise's woeful history.

I think the key to the season will be how much the very young defense improves. They cleaned house two years ago and this would be when you'd expect some of the kids to step forward.

Quote Originally Posted by wxwax View Post

I think the key to the season
    Those are dangerous words round these parts.
    There is only one immutable law in life - in a gentleman's toilet, incoming traffic has the right of way.
    -Hugh Leonard

One issue I'm curious to see the Falcons deal with is injuries. Last season they had almost no significant injuries, much like the Bears. That's very rare, and it was a significant factor in the success of both those teams last season. It's not something that's likely to repeat, either. Last year team depth wasn't really a factor for the Falcons, and I don't know how good that depth really is.

Also, they did lose Harvey Dahl, though I doubt that's going to be a big problem.

The defense had quite a few injuries, IIRC.

But hey, you're right. Very few teams can overcome any kind of serious injury bug. Talent in the NFL is paper-thin. Depth is a real luxury.

Blog Entries
    The Falcons had 15 games missed by starters last season, the second fewest total in the league last year. Compare that to the leading team last year, Indianapolis, who had 89 games missed by starters due to inury. Injuries will almost always regress to the mean, so Atlanta will most likely have to deal with that obstacle this year.
    "Biggest blowout since Andy Reid vs. Skinny jeans" - Colts01

I guess I'm thinking of injuries to Sean Witherspoon and Erik Coleman, both important in pass defense. Also, because of injury in his rookie season, 2010 was basically William Moore's rookie season.

I'm sensing not a lot of love in these parts for the Falcons this season.

I think that more likely than not, they will surpass such negative expectations. But those first five games are going to be a bear. If they can get through those with a winning record they'll have done well.