Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: All the right moves

All the right moves

Thomas Dimitroff is cementing his reputation as a sterling general manager.

Going into the off season the Falcons's two biggest needs were explosiveness on the offense and on the defense.

Dimitroff made a controversial blockbuster draft-day trade to get wide receiver Julio Jones. And on Friday he signed free agent defensive end Ray Edwards, one of the top two DE's on the market.

Job done.

Looks like the Falcons will lose valuable backup running back/fullback Jason Snelling and nasty offensive linemen Harvey Dahl.

But overall, Dimitroff seems to have once again made the right moves. Now all the players have to do is stay healthy and produce. But if Jones can stretch the defenses and Edwards can take the pressure off of John Abraham, the Falcons could be pretty good.

Dimitroff comes from the Belichick-Pioli school and is definitely making good moves.

Except for his choice of barber:

Honestly...

Quote Originally Posted by msclemons View Post
    Dimitroff comes from the Belichick-Pioli school and is definitely making good moves.

Honestly...
    What does Matthew Modine have to do with the Falcons?

Quote Originally Posted by msclemons View Post

He often sports silly looking facial hair, too. But no-one in this city cares. He's won them over. Unless Julio Jones is a bust.

Quote Originally Posted by brauneyz View Post
    What does Matthew Modine have to do with the Falcons?
    And whatever happened to Modine? Still looks young, just can't get good films anymore.

K, this might be the Hater in me but after discussing it with others, I'm not high on Edwards at all. He was the 4th banana on a D-line that had the Williams Wall&Jared Allen, saw single coverage constantly and yet never had double digit sacks. He's not going go to have the same luxury with the Falcons. I think other GM's saw that & that is why the market for him never materialized like others. The contact he signed with the Falcons was very reasonable for them& with how the money been spent this off-season, not something you would expect for a top 3 DE Free Agent.
    FPL: 15 comments can save you 15 minutes or more of embarrassing yourself on a bar discussion

Quote Originally Posted by ReaderM View Post
    K, this might be the Hater in me but after discussing it with others, I'm not high on Edwards at all. He was the 4th banana on a D-line that had the Williams Wall&Jared Allen, saw single coverage constantly and yet never had double digit sacks. He's not going go to have the same luxury with the Falcons.

If John Abraham can stay healthy (a big "if", I concede) then Edwards is unlikely to get a steady diet of double-teams.

I think Edwards was the missing piece on defense. I think we still miss a decent nickel back to add to Robinson and Grimes. Right now we're very thin, with Franks or Owens as nickel cornerback. This year we'll play the Saints twice, the Colts, the Packers, the Eagles. All good teams, and all with an offense with three WR basically on every play. It scares me, unless we'll sign another veteran CB to play nickel.
    On offense i think it was good to re-sign Clabo and Blalock. Dahl was expendable. But if Snelling will leave, we'd be very thin at RB position. Mughelli will play with no depth behind him, and Turner will have only Rodgers behind him... I don't think Gartrell Johnson III is a good player, so i think we need another power back to backup Turner, otherwise if #33 goes down we're basically without a decent running game.
    IMHO to be at best we have to sign a CB and a RB.

The good news is they haven't actually lost Snelling yet. He's a beast. They may yet lose Grimes, though.

Grimes is not leaving.. He has a first round tender and i don't think there's anybody around the league so crazy to spend that much on him...
    He'll sign his tender and play for Atlanta...