Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: <SFX: Crickets>

<SFX: Crickets>

Is anything going on in Berea?
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
    I hear there's an olive bar at the team cafeteria...

Quote Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
    <SFX: Crickets>
    My fault, I turned off the sound effects html tags on this site.

Browns have made a few moves but nothing splashy. Hasn't been a real exciting free agent week in Ohio.

Blog Entries
    I'm actually encouraged that we're not going out and signing guys. I've seen a lot of agitation to go after the NFC East's leftovers--Samuel, Umenyiora, and the like--and I'm glad we're not biting. Holmgren and Heckert are changing the way we evaluate talent and develop personnel, and that's welcome. If we do a good job in the draft and pick our spots in free agency, we'll be fine by next year or so, I believe.

Also, the Browns did make a trade for Brodrick Bunkley, a DT from Philadelphia (who's been in the league since '06, first rounder out of FSU). Apparently, he is not pleased with the trade and has not reported to Berea, which is maybe why you haven't heard anything about it.

Bunkley may be trying to force free agency. If he fails to show up for physical and forces the Browns to rescind the trade, he probably assumes the Eagles will cut him. It's odd behavior if he wants to re-negotiate his contract with the Browns, certainly, since this doesn't exactly commend him as a player or teammate, even if as a veteran he can't practice until later in the week. I'm not sure how this little episode would make him look to potential free agency suitors, either, but with a pro like Holmgren running the show in Cleveland now, I can't say that I expect teams to take a charitable view of the situation.
    @kocsan

Blog Entries
    UPDATE: The Browns and Eagles have nullified the Bunkley trade after he refused to report to Cleveland. The Browns get back their 5th rounder in 2012, and the Eagles have now moved him to Denver for a late-round pick in 2013. I'm not exactly sure what all of this means, but it's a fairly embarrassing situation for the Browns and the Eagles both.

I can't say that I'm too upset because Bunkley isn't that good. We can find other backup defensive linemen. But I will take a potshot.

Brodrick--listen here, you little bastard. I'm glad you feel like you've won. Enjoy being an underachieving malcontent on a terrible Broncos team.
    @kocsan

As for Bunkley - this is a quote from a Giants fan, but he apparently wasn't well-regarded in Philly:
    in the words of Mike Mayock, he was a physical specimen coming out of FSU. Now he looks like a tub of ****.
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

Blog Entries
    Receivers had a bad case of the drops today, apparently. No one in the corps looked good today. Greg Little apparently looked awesome yesterday, though- like a legitimate number one. He was getting open against press coverage/tight zone, against everyone they threw at him; only Joe Haden slowed him down, but according to observers he was still open (not *as* open, but open). Today, though, even he was fumbling around. I heard someone talking about McCoy checking down to Hillis a lot, but he may just be suffering from Post-Traumatic Quinn Disorder.

Secondary play seems to have improved. TJ Ward looks good in coverage (which may be misleading; that may be bad receiver play), jumping out routes nicely and getting on the ball, picked off Wallace for the play of the day yesterday. Buster Skrine (maybe my favorite name of all time) apparently had a pick-six off McCoy today. Probably need to add a third corner to the roster, though. Skrine will be fun to watch, but is smallish and a rookie.

Reggie Hodges (the punter) got carted off the field with non-contact injury, so... we're probably looking for a new punter.

In other news, the Browns are one of the frontrunners to sign Lofa Tatapu, who was a Holmgren pick back in Seattle.
    @kocsan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mkocs6 View Post
    In other news, the Browns are one of the frontrunners to sign Lofa Tatapu, who was a Holmgren pick back in Seattle.
    What's the status of D'Qwell Jackson?
    "Biggest blowout since Andy Reid vs. Skinny jeans" - Colts01

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KabaModernFan View Post
    What's the status of D'Qwell Jackson?
    Well, he's projected to start at Mike in our new 4-3. I think Fujita at Sam and Tatupu at Will, if this goes through. That gives us two starting linebackers with a history of torn pectoral muscles, I think. Yikes.

I don't want the Browns overpaying, but we need to start bringing in some depth on the defensive side of the ball.
    @kocsan

Blog Entries
    UPDATE: Reggie Hodges has torn his Achilles, so, yeah... we're looking for a punter.

Also, kudos for new head coach Pat Shurmur for saying there was something wrong with 'his foot.' I guess that's sort of right.
    @kocsan