Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bears free agent signings

Blog Entries
    Tanks Polish. After last year, I let my scorn for Angelo wane. I'm pissed about Olin, if it really came down to half a million. I would have had no problem lettting him go if he had a higher price tag, but he gave the hometown discount and more.

Spencer is a useful pickup, and the likely starter, but a mentor like Olin and that price wasn't that crazy, was it?

I'm more concerned with the fact we didn't pick up any depth at Guard. Are we really betting we can develop the UFAs in time for this season? And Carimi is good, but starting a rookie at LT?? Against the Lions, Jared Allen and the Bloodline? are we insane???

godamnit Angelou!!!!
    “Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

Blog Entries
    Good stuff, Polish. Especially the dynamic between Martz and Lovie.

Polish you forgot to mention that the NFL owners decided this summer to take away one of the greatest strengths you had (special teams kick return game) that scared the heck out of every team (esp. Green Bay). Martz has been good only when he isn't in charge of acquiring players. It does seem as though he's getting more and more influence.

On a positive note, Cutler did get rid of his Hollywood girlfriend.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripperlicious View Post
    Polish you forgot to mention that the NFL owners decided this summer to take away one of the greatest strengths you had (special teams kick return game) that scared the heck out of every team (esp. Green Bay). Martz has been good only when he isn't in charge of acquiring players. It does seem as though he's getting more and more influence.

On a positive note, Cutler did get rid of his Hollywood girlfriend.
    1. Thanks, guys. Somehow I have gained some respect here over the last year (I blame the average amount of booze you all have in your system at one time and, for that, I blame Clem) in that even when I write a rant, some of you go, "You know, he just may have a point." Again, you should all seek help.

2. Ripper, I am glad you brought that up. I do hate what the new rule does to our field position on kickoffs, especially when I look at how Cutler and Friends drove the ball when starting on his own 30 or less (I'll look again, but I think it was something like 1.3 first downs and a very high % of 3& out). I don't remember us having very many 10 play drives, either.

3. What I HOPE, really HOPE, is that, Hester becomes a full-time returner and a situational WR if Roy W can stop acting like a compass and just catch the damn ball. IF that happens, you have Roy as a middle of the pack #1, but still a #1. You have a guy with a great catch rate like Bennett. Then you have Knox and Hester burning cleats at #3 and #4.

4. Finally, the NFL has not decided that it hates PUNT returners yet and Hester is better at punt returning than kickoff returning. So it may not be a big deal. You know, unless point #2 is somehow relevant and it seems like it is.

5. The Hollywood exit won't mean much when poor Jay is eating through a tube. This is the year America doesn't start to like Jay, but feels bad for him.

Aw, who am I kidding, the Bears could not even study the play charts as good as I did when they had a chance to knock Green Bay out of the playoffs and then cruise to the Super Bowl. (Ahem, PULLING run plays to the left!!! That's all it would have taken. Use the speed against them! Your only two 20+ yd runs of the game were there! Oh wait, Olin made a key block on both of those b/c we realized Omiyale could not be trusted by then, glad we don't have him anymore) That, or not play a guy when he was hurt (which led to unnecessary public embarrassment) or not play Todd Collins at all, or not call the end around from hell with the clock winding down in the NFC Championship, or never draft Ced or Williams (For God's sake, I'd be happy with Sam Baker),........

Crap, my blood is a angerin' again. Seriously, I'll back off now. Okay, I'll back off from Aug 11 until Oct 9. That's it. That's the best I've got.

EDIT: Angelo did confirm that the price difference was about $500,000 and Olin would have been taking a 25% pay cut to stay. The original offer to Olin was roughly half his pay from last year. I'll just let those words stand on their own.
    Last edited by Polishguy00; 08-01-2011 at 01:27 PM.
    The podcast: www.polishguypodcast.blogspot.com

It's a podcast done by a ninja who is Polish!

"I don't believe in a lot of things, but I believe in duct tape."-Miles on "Lost."

twitter: @PguyPodcast

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Polishguy00 View Post
    5. The Hollywood exit won't mean much when poor Jay is eating through a tube. This is the year America doesn't start to like Jay, but feels bad for him.
    This is my biggest fear. I know there is a lot of hate for CUtler out there, but he is one of the reasons we made it to the NFC championship. Few QBs could have taken the shellacking he did last year and keep coming back for more.
    “Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

If the difference was 500k, then there was some greed on Olin's side also. He's a multi-millionaire. He needs to realize that he has regressed greatly since his prime years.
    If you ask me how I want to be remembered, it is as a winner. You know what a winner is? A winner is somebody who has given his best effort, who has tried the hardest they possibly can, who has utilized every ounce of energy and strength within them to accomplish something. It doesn't mean that they accomplished it or failed, it means that they've given it their best. That's a winner.”
    ― Walter Payton

Blog Entries
    You mean be the first athlete ever to do that? Recognizing you own mortality is the hardest thing for an athlete to do.
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

Blog Entries
    What struck me about the Olin thing (and I feel bad for you Bears fans over it), was that his agent said that the Bears put an offer down and said 'You have an hour to sign it.' Who does that to someone who has played their whole career for you, is a good player, and is a good locker room guy? Be up front, let him know the deal, treat him with some respect. But, seriously, an ultimatum? That's just wrong.
    "Amy is happily drinking the tears of Broncos fans." Giantsfan97.

Quote Originally Posted by Docta View Post
    If the difference was 500k, then there was some greed on Olin's side also. He's a multi-millionaire. He needs to realize that he has regressed greatly since his prime years.
    If the Bears decided that it would be a good idea to get Gholston and Okoye, they should have given Olin his extra 500k. Tell him this may be the last chance he gets, and that he needs to help out the young guy, but get him back.

Polish for GM? Anyone else with me?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBearsFan View Post
    If the Bears decided that it would be a good idea to get Gholston and Okoye, they should have given Olin his extra 500k. Tell him this may be the last chance he gets, and that he needs to help out the young guy, but get him back.

Polish for GM? Anyone else with me?
    I'm willing to back Polish for President. Bears GM is the first step to that I assume.
    "Biggest blowout since Andy Reid vs. Skinny jeans" - Colts01