Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there REALLY a plan?

Is there REALLY a plan?

They are preaching patience...and I for one am all about patiently building with the draft, trusting your scouts and coaches, and supplementing with Free Agency.

I do not mind seeing underperforming starters like Goldson, Lawson and Clements leave...they were part of the core of a losing football team. I dont mind seeing productive starters like Baas and Spikes leave, as they were either aging or replaceable. I dont even mind seeing a pro bowl caliber starter in Aubrayo Franklin leave, as he was expecting a big payday and has shown little longevity. I dont have a problem with Alex Smith returning as a bridge to Colin Kaepernick.

Now ill never believe in the history of the league that a team/coach/player/owner would tank a team to get a specific draft pick. there are infinite variables and jobs on the line. I dont think the 49ers are doing anything to LOSE on purpose, but they certainly arent doing anything to WIN either. They will trot out one of the worst 2-3 WR groups in the league - with or without Crabtree. How does that help their young QBs grow? They will have one of the worst group of Def Backs in the league - how does that help their defense grow? This isnt something that is fixed over night...those future draft picks take years to gel together.

This was not the year to completely step aside in free agency. They missed the opportunity to add a few talented young football players, and they took zero risk. I appreciate patience - but if you do everything by the book, you will get passed by those who are taking chances. this is a passing league...right now they have a way below avg QB, one of the worst WR and DB groups in the league and one rookie pass rusher.

PREDICTIONS:
    -big year for V Davis
    -immediate impact for aldon smith
    -32nd rated pass defense
    - 6-10 record
    -draft a CB in 1st round, another OLB in the second and they stick to the script with Kaepernick in year 2. i cant see dividends paying off for another 2-3 seasons. by then, gore and justin smith will be out the door.

i stepped away from the edge...im much happier 2 days later. they upgraded their o-line from last year, they upgraded their CB (slightly) and looking likely that they add a true outside weapon in braylon edwards. Edwards has been stuck in run first methodical offenses with horrible QBs...hes not exactly getting tom brady here, but it could be a chance for him to break out. he would immediately bump scrubtree as the #1 wr.

the other major upgrade that can be easily forgotten is the coach. for all the young players who spent their first few years with singletary, wow are they going to get coached up.

revising my prediction: 8-8. the pass defense is still going to be awful.

Blog Entries
    Braylon got the nickname 'Stonehands' when he was a Brown. He kept earning it as a Jet. And, no offense, but while Sanchez isn't great, he's better then Alex Smith. So Stonehands might actually have gotten a downgrade in QBs. Also note that the Jets would rather have the slowly moving body of Derek Mason then even talk to Stonehands. Maybe he'll make the 49ers better, but, I wouldn't hang too many hopes on it.
    "False Start everyone but the center." Gene Steretore. Pats vs Jets. 12/24/16.

I can see maybe 10 losses on that schedule, assuming they split most divisional games. It's going to take Harbaugh more than a season to impose himself on that team, don't you think? Especially in a shortened off-season/pre-season.

I drank the 49er flavored Kool-Aid last summer. Not this year. I think you are looking at the distinct possibility of being in the Andrew Luck Sweepstakes.
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

I actually think Alex Smith is at least on the same level as Sanchez. and i dont mean that as a compliment to Smith. the reality is that they improved the team and vastly improved the coaching staff...unless there is a catastrophic disaster, theres no way they are in the Luck sweepstakes.

compare them to the Raiders, who spent $16 million this year on Huff. the niners spent $16 million TOTAL on a new (pro bowl) center, a talented WR, a talented former top 10 pick at Safety, a pro bowl kicker and an upgrade at CB. Also, early reports are Aldon Smith dominating in camp (i know, early reports are early reports). they are erasing a lot of mistakes (mays, lawson, goldson, smith, etc.), but seem to really know what they are doing. they took a calm, steady and smart approach to free agency rather than just opening the check book to the biggest names available.

I'm liking the fact that the 49ers refused to wait on guys like Franklin and Goldson. Those players kept waiting, hoping for better offers and the 49ers said "nevermind, we'll sign replacements."

Early reports from TC on Aldon Smith have been very encouraging since this is a pick I did not like at all during the draft. Reports on the other A. Smith are not so encouraging. Sounds like the same old Alex.

In a passing league it looks like the 49ers have made moderate improvement to their pass defense and no improvement to their passing offense. The running game and run defense should be solid. Anything from 6-10 to 8-8 seems like a reasonable prediction to me.

Quote Originally Posted by msclemons View Post
    In a passing league it looks like the 49ers have made moderate improvement to their pass defense and no improvement to their passing offense.
    Yes, but at what cost? Think of the kitten, Clem.. Think of the kittens!

Quote Originally Posted by SpartaChris View Post
    Yes, but at what cost? Think of the kitten, Clem.. Think of the kittens!
    Mike Singletary is still with us in spirit.

From Grant Cohn at 49ers practice today:
    During 11-on-11’s, Alex Smith threw one pass at Ted Ginn’s feet on a five-yard out. The fans didn’t boo, but they gave a collective “oooooo,” and the stands got uncomfortably quiet.
    Nice to see Alex is looking out for Ted and not giving him a chance to drop passes.

Dandrea - As a fan of bad teams, I know that optimism is what keeps us going. However, some of your statements aren't merely optimistic... they are downright delusional.

Quote Originally Posted by dandrea View Post
    I actually think Alex Smith is at least on the same level as Sanchez.

The niners spent $16 million TOTAL on a new (pro bowl) center, a talented WR, a talented former top 10 pick at Safety, a pro bowl kicker and an upgrade at CB.
    He may have a great year this season, but to say that Alex Smith is on the same level as Mark Sanchez is just plain wrong. Sanchez has won 4 playoff games in two seasons and has shown obvious progress. Can you really honestly say that Smith is a better QB now than he was 4 years ago?

You are right that Edwards is talented. He is also the owner of an almost legendary set of stonehands. And I believe he is one substance or misdemeanour charge away from a lengthy suspension.

And as a Bills fan let me just say that Donte Whitner spends a lot of time chasing guys instead of hitting them.
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur