Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lions' Rookie Nick Fairley has Foot Surgery

Lions' Rookie Nick Fairley has Foot Surgery

PFT article here.

Detroit Free Press article here.

What is it with Lions rookies and their feet? We had Jahvid Best at about 70% due to turf toe on both feet last season. This year it is Nick Fairley's turn. He had surgery today in North Carolina on his injured foot. Typically, the Lions are not disclosing the nature of the injury nor are they discussing the details of the operation.

This just stinks. I was very much looking forward to a Suh/Fairley quarterback buffet this year. Let's hope this does not linger.
    Last edited by GoBigOrGoHome; 08-03-2011 at 07:15 PM.
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Blog Entries
    They say he's going to miss a substantial amount of training camp. I assume that means they expect him back before the regular season. Better than an injury an LB or CB.

Blog Entries
    Makes me wonder how Da'Quan Bowers is doing.

Blog Entries
    Those dang glass slippers always mess your feet up.

Ruh roh.

I thought I saw ESPN say this was the second time he's had a problem with his foot. Is that correct?

Foot injuries (stress fractures) can take a long time to heal and they often seem to get re-injured. I seem to recall stress fractures to the foot being a big deal in the NBA a long time ago (not just Jordan.)

A big guy with foot problems is a serious issue. I bet he misses a fair number of games. Bummer. I don't like Fairley, but I'd like to see the hard-luck Lions have some success.

They x-rayed the foot in Detroit on Monday and reported that the xrays were negative for fractures. I wish they would say what the surgery repaired.

I'm going to guess they either they lied about the x-rays or they missed something the first time around (not uncommon, especially with hairline fractures.)

There can't be many foot injuries that require surgery days after they happen. Cartilage? They wait for swelling to go down. Tendon? You don't x-ray for tendons, do you? More like an MRI?

What else could it be? Bunions?

I vote for stress fracture.

Blog Entries
    This just bought Jay Cutler about 2 more games before Martz's plan to have him destroyed is completed.
    “Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

Quote Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
    I'm going to guess they either they lied about the x-rays or they missed something the first time around (not uncommon, especially with hairline fractures.)

There can't be many foot injuries that require surgery days after they happen. Cartilage? They wait for swelling to go down. Tendon? You don't x-ray for tendons, do you? More like an MRI?

What else could it be? Bunions?

I vote for stress fracture.
    I hope they handle this with extreme care. It would be foolish to run him out there before he is completely healed. Defensive line is by far the deepest position group on Detroit's team. Let the kid heal completely. Target his return for the Monday Night Football game against the Bears in October.

This is one of those situations where it's almost better to put him on teh PUP lsit to protect themselves from future injury. Force him to sit out the first 6 weeks of the season, get completely recovered, and then come on with a fresh venegence for the final 10 weeks.

Wait, that was a smart thing to do, put him out there the last week of preseason and let him screw up his entire career
    "Make sure you come to the game day chat to see my feeble attempts at typing there, it's abhorrent. "
    or as gobig calls it "Ragaring"