Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Sterling Sharpe belong in the Hall of Fame?

1. Does Sterling Sharpe belong in the Hall of Fame?

With Shannon being inducted into the Hall of Fame, and claiming that he is the second best football player in his family, I figured it would be interesting to look back on Sterling's career and see if he warrants induction as well.

Sterling’s career was cut short by a knee injury after 7 seasons in the league. I compared his career to the first 7 seasons of his contemporaries in the Hall or who have been finalists numerous times.

Sterling Sharpe 1988-1994
    http://www.pro-football-reference.co...S/SharSt00.htm
    Individual receiving stats: 112 games played, 112 games started, 595 receptions, 8134 yards, 65 TDs
    Team passing stats: 2284 completions, 3901 attempts, 25648 yards, 149 TDs, 137 INT, 76.37 passer rating
    % of team stats: 26.05% of receptions, 31.71% of yards, 43.62% of TDs

Jerry Rice 1985-1991
    http://www.pro-football-reference.co...R/RiceJe00.htm
    Individual receiving stats: 108 games played, 95 games started, 526 receptions, 9072 yards, 93 TDs
    Team passing stats: 2323 completions, 3723 attempts, 29038 yards, 206 TDs, 101 INT, 93.72 passer rating
    % of team stats: 22.64% of receptions, 31.24% of yards, 45.15% of TDs

Michael Irvin 1988-1994
    http://www.pro-football-reference.co...I/IrviMi00.htm
    Individual receiving stats: 96 games played, 87 games started, 416 receptions, 6935 yards, 40 TDs
    Team passing stats: 2045 completions, 3457 attempts, 24087 yards, 123 TDs, 125 INT, 77.21 passer rating
    % of team stats: 20.34% of receptions, 28.79% of yards, 32.52% of TDs

Andre Reed 1985-1991
    http://www.pro-football-reference.co...R/ReedAn00.htm
    Individual receiving stats: 106 games played, 104 games started, 469 receptions, 6466 yards, 47 TDs
    Team passing stats: 1996 completions, 3405 attempts, 25060 yards, 166 TDs, 136 INT, 81.21 passer rating
    % of team stats: 23.50% of receptions, 25.80% of yards, 28.31% of TDs

Cris Carter 1987-1993
    http://www.pro-football-reference.co...C/CartCr00.htm
    Individual receiving stats: 101 games played, 80 games started, 327 receptions, 4577 yards, 42 TDs
    Team passing stats: 2008 completions, 3597 attempts, 23947 yards, 151 TDs, 118 INT, 76.67 passer rating
    % of team stats: 16.28% of receptions, 19.11% of yards, 27.81% of TDs

Tim Brown 1988-1994
    http://www.pro-football-reference.co...B/BrowTi00.htm
    Individual receiving stats: 96 games played, 55 games started, 316 receptions, 4734 yards, 31 TDs
    Team passing stats: 1618 completions, 3114 attempts, 23030 yards, 140 TDs, 123 INT, 74.73 passer rating
    % of team stats: 19.53% of receptions, 20.56% of yards, 22.14% of TDs

My personal view is that he is very much on the borderline, I would not dispute his induction, but I would not champion it much either. If it came down to it, I would put Carter, Brown, Owens, Moss, and Harrison in before him.
    Last edited by nonamesleft; 08-07-2011 at 02:17 AM.

Sorry but he belongs in the hall of very good. There's a website and foundation for that. It's a shame an injury cut his career short but he just doesn't stack up. No way is he a hall of famer especially in light of the current log jam at the position that's only going to get more convoluted as more modern era receivers become eligible.

Blog Entries
    If you are going to put Gale Sayers in, you have to put Sterling Sharpe in. It's not exactly the same precedent, but if we're willing to overlook his career being cut short by injury then we have to do the same for Sharpe.

When Gale Sayers retired he was: 16th all-time in rushing yards, 18th all-time in rushing TDs, and 3rd all-time in YPG
    When Sterling Sharpe retired he was: 27th all-time in receiving yards, 22nd all-time in receiving TDs, and 2nd all-time in YPG

Gale Sayers now is: 118th all-time in rushing yards, 107th all-time in rushing TDs, and 30th all-time in YPG
    Sterling Sharpe now is: 75th all-time in receiving yards, 44th all-time in receiving TDs, and 11th all-time in YPG

Sterling Sharpe obviously has had less time pass since his retirement, but his numbers as they currently stand seem to be on pace with how far they will fall after the same amount of time passed between when Sayers retired and now. Sterling Sharpe is basically the evolutionary Gale Sayers. We know that both of these players, at the peak of their careers, had a legitimate case at being the best in the world at what they did. Look how eerily similar their numbers are at the point of their retirement. Sayers' are obviously better at first glance, but he did come into the NFL much earlier than Sharpe did, and fewer great RBs had played the game which made it somewhat easier for Sayers to climb the all-time lists. Of course Sharpe played for seven years, as opposed to Sayers who did everything save for a few dozen yards in five years.

I think Sayers is the better player. However, if we are willing to have Sayers in the Hall of Fame then we shouldn't have a problem having Sharpe in the Hall either.
    "Biggest blowout since Andy Reid vs. Skinny jeans" - Colts01

No. Not when there's a bunch of worthy candidates at th esame position. Maybe after Carter and Reed get in.
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

5. yep

Sorry but Sterling does belong to be in the HOF. You look at his stats vs Irvin or some of the other WR's and he has better stats. Might not be in 2 years but he belongs. Look at the stats.

Does he belong in the HoF, no. The fact is as time has gone on, you need both exceptional talent and longevity to get into the HoF as there are too many people who've been great for short periods of time, it's the longevity that separates that great from the good.
    "Make sure you come to the game day chat to see my feeble attempts at typing there, it's abhorrent. "
    or as gobig calls it "Ragaring"

No, he does not belong. Longevity is part of a legacy, and seven years just doesn't cut it unless you really blow up the league. And while Sterling Sharpe was very good and on a Hall of Fame pace when he was forced to retire, those first seven years weren't unprecedented. He was very good, but he wasn't *that* good.

Sterling Sharpe was forced to retire because of an injury to the top two vertebrae in his neck. The consensus amongst his doctors was that he would be running an unacceptable risk of paralysis if he continued to play football (the OP cites a knee injury, which is incorrect).
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrGoHome View Post
    Sterling Sharpe was forced to retire because of an injury to the top two vertebrae in his neck. The consensus amongst his doctors was that he would be running an unacceptable risk of paralysis if he continued to play football (the OP cites a knee injury, which is incorrect).
    Risk of paralysis? Man, that's nothing. Shark LaVay just had to play through that for $1 million!

This is a tough call, because you have to look at who's in there now, who should be in there now based on their numbers(Carter, Brown, Reed,) and then compare it to what Sharpe did in his first 7 years. As a Viking fan, I remember how GREAT Sharpe was as a Packer: Strong, physical, fast, great hands, and a great route runner. Sharpe rarely talked to the media, so we didn't really get to know Sharpe as we did with Michael Irvin and others, but he was a Viking-killer and if not for his unfortunate injury, he and Favre could have rivaled Young/Rice or Manning/Harrison as the best QB/WR duo in NFL history. Does he belong in the Hall of Fame? I believe he should be in there based on how great he was and the numbers he put up. I believe Cris Carter and Tim Brown should be taken care of first, but Sharpe deserves to have a bust made and placed right by his brother Shannon. One last thing: I've said this for years, a Hall of Fame player or coach from each team should get a Hall of Fame vote. Once that happens, some of these guys like Sharpe and Terrell Davis, who had great numbers but also had short careers due to injury, will get Hall of Fame consideration because those guys played against them and know first hand how great they were, regardless of the length of their careers.