Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sam Bradford is overrated

Sam Bradford is overrated

I love arguments that go against conventional wisdom. I'm a contrarian at heart, so any time someone comes up with an argument that calls someone overrated, I tend to at least listen.
    In comes Pro Football Reference:
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=9017

Basically, they argue that Bradford benefited from a perfect that allowed him to be overrated. He got drafted on a horrible team that actually significantly improved his defense, but Bradford gets a lot of credit for winning 7 games. He also threw the ball more than any rookie ever did, which allowed him to set (near) rookie records in completions, yardage and other compilation stats, simply because he got to throw a lot. He also completed a fairly high percentage of passes, especially compared to the 2009 class of quarterbacks, but he wasn't very productive with those completions. He also benefited from a pretty easy schedule.

I don't actually think Bradford as a player is particularly overrated, though. He's clearly an accurate quarterback with all the tools and he was badly hurt by his lack of teammates last season. He looked pretty good for a rookie and I'd be surprised if he didn't turn into at least a solid quarterback.

That said, I do think his 2010 season is extremely overrated. Bradford ran a dink-and-dunk offense that inflated his completion percentage and minimized the opportunity for mistakes. And somehow it seemed like Bradford started to play worse as the year continued. He was playing some pretty bad football toward the end of the year, and he was the reason the Rams lost that final game against the Seahawks.

It will be interesting to see how his career continues, but after last season he was basically anointed as the second coming of Peyton Manning, and that's very inaccurate.

I thought he was overrated coming out of college, but thought he played well last year.

I'm particularly interested in seeing how Bradford does against teams in his division (and any other team that has played him already).
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

I have been a backer of Bradford, and I do think he will both progress and have a good year next year. But that's mostly based on what little I saw of him last year and what I saw and liked when he played in college. I totally agree that he is a dink-and-dunk passer, his schedule was easy (though, it will remain somewhat easy based on 6 games against the NFC West) and that too much credit for the Rams improvement was placed on Bradford. DVOA/DYAR both rank Bradford 34th among qualifying QBs (100+ pass attempts), so I know that he didn't have that great of a year. But, rookie QBs usually improve on their second year, and if they don't then they probably suck. I like the Rams overall because I do think their defense is getting better, and I do like pieces on their offense including Bradford and Jackson. We'll see though.

That's a really good read, but (and this sounds strange coming from me) too stats based. Bradford didn't have a spectacular rookie year, but it wasn't awful and that's what people are looking for from a rookie year. He has all the tools, physical and mental, to be a good to great QB. The only question was if he could handle the NFL and last year he showed he could. I'm not putting him in the HOF quite yet, but count me among his fans.

6. Got to know him fairly well at Oklahoma and really liked his intangibles as well as his physical abilities. He is a very grounded guy and success didn't change that one bit. He is all about his family and friends and it helped him handle the injury adversity flawlessly. I do think he has the physical and mental makeup to be sucessful in the NFL. He faces the challenge of dealing with a new OC in his second season. Shurmur is now head coach at Cleveland. It would be wise to keep the concepts he learned last season as similar as possible so he can grow as anticipated in his second season when the biggest strides can be accomplished.

After one year, how can he branded as either "over" or "under rated?" Unless he had a rookie year like either JaMarcus or Marino, it is still too early to be drawing any kind of definitive conclusions.
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

Blog Entries
    I think he is a good QB. But the real guys who improved the Rams was the defensive Line, specially Chris Long. The Rams ranked 8th in FO's Pass protection rankings for the defensive Lines

Bradford had a pedestrian 4.7 ANY/A, placing him 28th in the league last year. But as others have said, he was a rookie, and was playing catch with some second stringers.
    “Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

Quote Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
    After one year, how can he branded as either "over" or "under rated?" Unless he had a rookie year like either JaMarcus or Marino, it is still too early to be drawing any kind of definitive conclusions.
    Exactly. But, a lot of people are drawing a lot of conclusions about how great he is going to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Sander View Post
    Exactly. But, a lot of people are drawing a lot of conclusions about how great he is going to be.
    This is what American sports fans do. Puff a guy up for one of two reasons - if he is wildly successful, you can crow about "being right all along" OR if he sucks, you get to hoot on that one buddy who predicted greatness for the kid. God forbid we just watch & enjoy the game.
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.