Thread: When Will the Houston Texans Overcome?

Blog Entries

Lightbulb When Will the Houston Texans Overcome?

With their 10th season in the League coming this year, what will it take for the Texans to overcome and get into the playoffs AND have a winning record? Is the right staff there? Do they have good enough free agency signings?

Andre Johnson is a Man. He's a guy that I'd lobby to get Larry Fitzgerald type of money. I also think that Matt Schaub is capable of helping the franchise to keep winning. Remember when he was highly touted when he backed up Michael Vick? Also, I think that Gary Kubiak is a doing a good job so far but his seat will catch on fire by the end of the year if they have a similar season as last year.

P.S. I am a Colts fan as the Colts play within the Texans' division of the AFC South but this is a good preseason topic to throw around. I know if Peyton does miss games, I'm already gonna feel cold come Week One when IND goes down to HOU.
    Last edited by BuckeyeRidley; 08-28-2011 at 11:06 AM. Reason: [FIRE!]
    "This Game is Not For the Faint of Heart" --Bill Parcells

Facebook.com/BuckeyeRidley

I think the Texans have made the right strides this offseason to getting their team in place to win more games. Wade Phillips is a great hire to man the defense because I feel his natural role is as a DC not a head coach. Everywhere he has gone as a DC he has immediately improved the defense. I like the guys they drafted, especially JJ Watt out of Wisconsin as a disruptive pass rusher on the edges in the new 3-4. They haven't had a host of pass rushers in ages.

Signing Johnathan Joseph and Daniel Manning were both great ideas. Neither are game-changing talents but they both provide immediate upgrades at positions of need. The Texans secondary has been so atrocious for so many years. If they are able to squeak out an even mediocre defense, like 15-18th overall, they will win more games than they ever have before. We all know the offense is there. It's the other side of the ball that has caused them fits for as long as I can remember.

Will they win the division and get in the playoffs? I don't know. I'm still skeptical. But they are certainly in a better position this year than they ever have before.

Blog Entries
    Who,s the South playing this year?
    “Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

Quote Originally Posted by iwatt View Post
    Who,s the South playing this year?
    AFC North
    There is only one immutable law in life - in a gentleman's toilet, incoming traffic has the right of way.
    -Hugh Leonard

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Colts01 View Post
    AFC North
    And the NFC South...looks like only one team from the AFC south....it'll depend on Peyton then..New offensive linemen trying to learn Peytonspeak was already daunting, with him out until week 1 or 2....expect some missed OL assignments the first 4 games
    “Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Colts01 View Post
    AFC North
    And the NFC South...looks like only one team from the AFC south....it'll depend on Peyton then..New offensive linemen trying to learn Peytonspeak was already daunting, with him out until week 1 or 2....expect some missed OL assignments the first 4 games
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

I think this might be the year the Texans break though. New Defensive Coordinator in Wade Phillips, Peyton with a neck injury. Schaub looks like he is improving.

Blog Entries
    The Texans certainly have work to do before they get better. I think it is a matter of time and that Schaub can get it done but the continuity is what I come back to as being key for them to grasp and run with it.
    "This Game is Not For the Faint of Heart" --Bill Parcells

Facebook.com/BuckeyeRidley