Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Super Bowl favorites, again

Quote Originally Posted by DannyMilk View Post
    I agree, I double checked because I know the division they are in, but both last years and this years schedule isn't the easiest in the league, so they are a good team, just Mama Cass it up in the playoffs.
    Which hurts more than having a bad season. I forget about the 10 game winning streak since they lost their first game in the playoffs.

Of course during the 10 game streak it was so much fun every week. It just makes the let down so much worse. Had they beat NYJ and lost in Indy I would chalk it up to a good season that was almost. Missing 3 fg's (which are really turnovers) and not finishing drives like they used to and Cro letting Greene walk past him for 50+ yd TD is just an awful way to go out.

The chargers lack balance. In the movie Friday, Chris Tucker has a line that says " Damn. Y'all ain't never got two things that match. Either y'all got Kool-aid, no sugar. Peanut butter, no jelly. Ham, no burger. Daaamn. ".The chargers are the same, passing game no running game (past couple years), running game no passing game (the LT prime years), run defense no pass defense (Wade Phillips era), pass defense no run defense (last year). A balanced offense last year might have taken the chargers to the Superbowl. This year looks like our pass offense might take a step back. If the overall defense can improve (its sack totals and force more turnovers) along with the running game, I believe that Philip Rivers can overcome the lack of VJ and McNeill (provided they play in the playoffs) and make this team an under the radar Superbowl contender. I believe that the less hype the chargers have, the better they perform. The year they made it to the AFC championship game they did not have a lot of hype since everyone thought the Pats would go undefeated. They lost the game due to Gates, Rivers and LT being injured, but they still put up a fight. Hopefully, this early season turmoil will help the team overcome its weaknesses in time for the playoffs. In an interview last year Philip Rivers mentioned how comfortable he was with Norv's playcalling and did not really change it much at the line. Philip Rivers is an awesome leader, but will have to take the next step in his evolution (changing plays based on reads at the line) to join the likes of Brady, Manning and (gasp!) Brees and get that championship.