Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super Bowl favorites, again

Super Bowl favorites, again

The Chargers have finished the transition from LaDainian Tomlinson's team to Philip Rivers' team. Tomlinson had as a good a run at the top as any running back since Jim Brown, but he leaves San Diego the same way Dan Fouts, Kellen Winslow (the original), Charlie Joiner and Lance Alworth did - without a Super Bowl ring.

Having made the playoffs the last 4 years, the Chargers are now officially a perennial contender. But what's it going to take to move from making it to the playoffs to making it to the Super Bowl?

They certainly have the offensive firepower to get to the big game. They've been in the top 5 in scoring each of the last 6 years. The defense, while not up to the same standard as the offense, is certainly good enough to win in the regular season. It's not a weather issue, in the last 4 years they've lost 2 playoff games at home and 2 on the road.

It could be the division. No other AFC West team has had a winning record in the last 3 years. Even though they went 8-2 outside their division last year, most teams don't play with the same passion in non-division games as they do in the playoffs. Maybe the lack of meaningful competition in the regular season has hurt the Chargers in January.

2. So it doesn't have anything to do with a head coach that looks like a deer in the headlights come playoff time?

I know their offense puts up good numbers, but do you think that could be deceiving in part because of the schedule they play? It seems to me that their offense has looked lackluster in all of their disappointing playoff losses. Throw in the contract disputes/suspension of VJ and the departure of your franchise face of the last decade, and one has to wonder how they can make a leap forward while taking so many steps back on paper [throw in the loss of NT Jamal Williams and CB Antonio Cromartie]. They haven't had the team to get the job done yet--why would this year be any different?
    “There is an old saying about the strength of the wolf is the pack, and I think there is a lot of truth to that. On a football team, it's not the strength of the individual players, but it is the strength of the unit and how they all function together.”--Bill Belichick

Norv has a better record in the playoffs than MartyBall.

Blog Entries
    Just like the Texans...until they prove everyone wrong, I feel like I have no choice but to stay away.
    2010 Chicago Bears: NFC North Champions

Norv isn't a good head coach (Great x and o guy though) and Phillip Rivers isn't a great QB. He's good but his numbers are inflated from flinging around agains the ****ty AFC West and Vincent Jackson's insane ability to get wide open running straight down the field (Seriously... He's not the fastest guy in the league but i feel like hes running by people all the time). It doesn't help that Rivers the QB has the biggest mouth of anyone on the team.

Key player this season: Ryan Matthews. If he breaks out and is as explosive as some rookie RB's tend to be, then you might see his fresh legs carry the Chargers back to 'contender' status. Until then, I will peg this team just like I pegged the Seahawks a few years back: a good team in a horrific division. Multiple division championships don't mean much if the only teams you are beating are as mediocre as the Broncos, Raiders and Chiefs have been. Just ask the Atlanta Braves.
    “There is an old saying about the strength of the wolf is the pack, and I think there is a lot of truth to that. On a football team, it's not the strength of the individual players, but it is the strength of the unit and how they all function together.”--Bill Belichick

8. A 13-3 team that played their worst game of year in the playoffs to a much better than most people thought Jets team. With quality wins last year at Dallas, @ NYG, @ tenn and home to Cinn, Philly, Mia., I think this qualify thems as "contenders" no matter which division they are in. If their kicker doesn't have mental brain fart who knows what happens? I know, always some excuse with this team but they are close.
    This season has the feel of they year the Colts finally won after Edge James left. Years of double digit regular season wins,Head coach and qb who couldn't win the big one, questionable defense, rookie rb, tepid expectations. Sound familiar?

Blog Entries
    Playing in the AFC West is a blessing, not a curse. Think about the Colts of 10 yrs. back, when they were alwasy in but never got past the Pats. The main thing is to get to the playoffs! After that, getting to the big one and winning is a matter of luck and timing. As long as they consistently reach the playoffs, they should eventually get into the big game. Every playoff dog has his day. Just my opinion, but winning the Super Bowl requires a good bit of luck.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by badhoop View Post
    A 13-3 team that played their worst game of year in the playoffs to a much better than most people thought Jets team. With quality wins last year at Dallas, @ NYG, @ tenn and home to Cinn, Philly, Mia., I think this qualify thems as "contenders" no matter which division they are in. If their kicker doesn't have mental brain fart who knows what happens? I know, always some excuse with this team but they are close.
    This season has the feel of they year the Colts finally won after Edge James left. Years of double digit regular season wins,Head coach and qb who couldn't win the big one, questionable defense, rookie rb, tepid expectations. Sound familiar?
    I agree, I double checked because I know the division they are in, but both last years and this years schedule isn't the easiest in the league, so they are a good team, just Mama Cass it up in the playoffs.
    2010 Chicago Bears: NFC North Champions