Thread: translating: We have to get him the ball in space.

translating: We have to get him the ball in space.

This phrase is generally used in reference to a running back. Usually after his rookie season. He's usually really fast in a straight line. He's often a good punt returner. He has also usually demonstrated that he isn't a good primary running back.

This is usually sometthing said about a high draft pick, because if you're third round or later nobody cares.

It also usuallly presages by two years a trade for mid to late round draft pick and/or a coaching change.

Hellllooooo CJ Spiller. Thanks Buddy. Cut bait. Trade him now. Or, maybe just ask around, see what someone might offer for him? Tell me then if you're not better off leaving him third on the depth chart.

I'm starting to worry about you Scott. There are 5 stages of grief:
    1. Denial
    2. Anger
    3. Acceptance
    4. Alcohol
    5. Alcohol
    At least I assume that's what they are, I'm far too busy to actually look it up.

You seem to be stuck in stage 2. What can we do to help you get to stage 3, or more importantly 4 and 5? Group therapy? Designated driver? Bruce Smith highlight tape? We're here for you buddy (oops, probably shouldn't say 'buddy').

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Freeland View Post
    I'm starting to worry about you Scott. There are 5 stages of grief:
    1. Denial
    2. Anger
    3. Acceptance
    4. Alcohol
    5. Alcohol
    At least I assume that's what they are, I'm far too busy to actually look it up.
    Let's reorder this a little

1) Denial
    2) Anger
    3) Resignation
    4) Depression
    5) Alcohol
    6) Acceptance
    7) More Alcohol
    8) Hope for Change
    9) Rinse and repeat 1 - 7 until 8 actually happens.

As far as C.J. Spiller goes, I think niche players have been found to not work out so well in the NFL. Whether that's coaching failures (e.g. not using the player in places where he can be effective), or jsut the fact of the NFL, it is looking like Bust City for C.J.
    "Make sure you come to the game day chat to see my feeble attempts at typing there, it's abhorrent. "
    or as gobig calls it "Ragaring"

Thanks for the concern. I had hope. The five idiot moves this summer have stripped that from me.

I rank them, in no particular order:

1. NOT getting some kind of two-legged, two-armed offensive tackle who is able to take three lateral steps in rapid succession and then manage to make contact with the guy running into him. self explanatory I hope.
    2. Dedicating the draft to securing some young long-term backups at positions of strength. Seriously, they didn't even try to get an OT who can play.
    3. Brad Smith for anything more than ten bucks. So desperately not an offensive tackle or pass rushing linebacker, and no more than the third best, in some cases eighth, at whatever position they line him up at.
    4. CJ Spiller being forced onto the field so we can guarantee Moorman some good numbers this year. As mentioned above.
    5. The Lee thing. It was botched all the way around.They led up to it by saying he was one-dimensional and they needed to see more versatility out of him. Why? Why on earth would you even think to try? He can beat guys deep, or take a short pass and make fifteen out of it. What is the value in declaring the need for him to play Wes Welker? We have seven of those guys. So they begin the process (and in hindsight it's quite clearly cognitive dissonance - they needed to make a public case to support their erroneous beliefs in order to justify to us and themselves the action that followed) by publicly reducing his perceived value. Then they fight tooth and nail to get the roughly 150th pick next year. Great work.

It's going to take a lot of time for this to ebb. I hope like heck I'm wrong about Aaron Williams, and in person, he is an electrifying athlete. I still don't think he tackles very well, and we just let that go to Cleveland. Plus, he's not been better than George Wilson, Jairus Byrd, Reggie Corner, Drayton Florence, or Terrence McGee. And when we took him we could have gotten a good pass rusher, a good OT, or heck, even a good TE. So, y'know, it's hard to let it go. I understand they think they're applying the QB logic to each position - if he isn't THE guy, don't take him. But the problem is, they look at a Benny Ijalana and say He's a late second round talent, and we don't want to spend this pick, long term, on someone who isn't that good, so we'll hand the job to a guy who should be working in a shipyard somewhere (Erik Pears) and take a higher-rated DB who isn't better than any of our top three corners or top two safeties. They are not paying attention to their own team. Williams may be a better DB prospect in their eyes than Ijalana or anyone else may have been an OT prospect, but we have DB's. Bonus ones, when you count the fourth-rounder who followed AND WHO PLAYS THE SAME POSITION AS WILLIAMS!!! So Our safeties don't suck, and we try to replace them with guys who are potentially marginally better, and our tackles do suck, so we stick our head in the sand on them. It is mystifying.

I hope to skip past the alcohol, since my wife doesn't let it in the house. I figure October will find me sitting in number 3 after we lose close games to New England, New York, Kansas City, Oakland, and Philly on late sacks from the left and right edge to kill potential game-winning drives. Three on whiffs by the OT's, two on blown assignments by Spiller.

My blood pressure is settling out OK though, because I am often reminded that Spiller's got his old number back.

Hey man that old number has been the tonic for many a player like......well I can't think of any but there has to be one. As for your comments never gonna be close to New England, New York, or Philly, and will probably beat the Raiders at least(god that team sucks).

Hey buddy, unlike the other yucksters here, I'm willing to cut you some slack. I mean, you have a baby on the way and all. You should probably drink heavily now and not worry about that paternal-maternal-fetal-placental barrier myth. All downhill from here. And yes, I mean the Bills. See ya in season.
    These are my principles and if you don't like them ... well ... I have others. ~ Groucho