Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pat White. Staying or going?

Pat White. Staying or going?

What the heck is going on with this guy? Is he just reading the writing on the wall and getting depressed about it (understandable) or is there something else happening here? I've read that he looks much better physically and on the field right now and he has put in a ton of work in the offseason. So why after all that, is this going on? What ever is happening with him, if he wants to make it in this league he needs to suck it up and get out there and win a job.

For my part I would prefer to have Tyler Thigpen as one of the backups on this team along with Chad Pennington. I think that gives the Dolphins the best Qb situation in the league. There is no way they will keep 4 Qb's on the roster going into the season, but I don't think they will cut him or try to put him on the practice squad. I have been thinking though since there are some strange rules governing the backup Qb's, when you can bring in the #3 guy and so forth, perhaps they might sacrifice another spot on the roster and call him a RB or WR so they can sustitute him in in the "Pat White Package" and not be subject to those rules?

Frankly, I don't really like that thought and he should earn a spot or be gone, but with the Dolphins bringing in that AFL QB for a tryout with the intention of him being on the practice squad, it really makes me wonder.
    Last edited by Tinindian; 08-01-2010 at 10:00 AM.
    Buckle Dem Chinstraps Primadonnas!

I was not a fan of this draft choice at the time especially in the 2nd round, held my breath every time he touched the ball last year, something tells me he will not be on the team one way or another ( cut, trade,quit football) the worst part will be the wasted pick.

Not only that when he came on the field it seemed to break the momentum of the drive. Drove me crazy.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Tinindian View Post
    Not only that when he came on the field it seemed to break the momentum of the drive. Drove me crazy.
    The same thing happened to Philly last year when Vick came in for McNabb. It does make you crazy ... and I'm not an Eagles fan.

Well I really have my doubts that he will even make the squad this year. I know he's a 2nd round pick (WHY!) from only last year, but I don't see it happening. I hear he is still having problems throwing the ball. What good is a Qb who can't throw the darn ball?

The Trifecta has done a tremendous job rebuilding this team in just a couple of years, but they seemed to have missed big time on White.

I realize alot of ppl weren't big on drafting this guy and I like Thigpen too, but he's a great athlete and can do alot more than Thigpen or Pennington at this poing in his career.....Pennington isnt going anywhere and I realize that but they have to find a spot of Pat White
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

Pat White is a solid athlete for sure, but he wasn't impressive in the least last year. Didn't complete a pass and looked bad doing it. He didn't run the ball particularly well. Frankly with his stature he looked like a child on the field. I was always worried he was gonna get laid out and sure enough it happened against the Steelers. It was scary too, cause he didn't move for a few seconds. He has put on about 10 pounds of muscle this offseason so he's obviously working hard, but I still think he is just to small of build to get it done. I am not really opposed to a Qb who is shorter, one of my favorites of all time was Doug Flutie and how can you bang on Drew Brees, but both of those guys looked bigger than White build wise. I could be wrong, but they looked it. Miami's O-line is 6-4 and up, I really don't think he can see over them.

Tinindian -

You've made some good points about Pat White. I agree that he has tremendous athletic ability. My concern right now is why aren't the coaches who have invested such a high pick in him not coach him to his potential? Why are we contemplating the end of his career after being only 2 years removed from being drafted so highly? Pat White will not play QB in the NFL. Our coaches know this and so does every other franchise in the league. He needs to transition to WR or showcase some value as a punt/kickoff returner. But to simply release him to have netted nothing of value for him would be a grave error in my opinion. I don't see why he can not become as serviceable as Antwan Randle-El who was able to make the same transition from college QB to WR.

9. Quote Originally Posted by PhinsJunkie View Post
    Tinindian -

You've made some good points about Pat White. I agree that he has tremendous athletic ability. My concern right now is why aren't the coaches who have invested such a high pick in him not coach him to his potential? Why are we contemplating the end of his career after being only 2 years removed from being drafted so highly? Pat White will not play QB in the NFL. Our coaches know this and so does every other franchise in the league. He needs to transition to WR or showcase some value as a punt/kickoff returner. But to simply release him to have netted nothing of value for him would be a grave error in my opinion. I don't see why he can not become as serviceable as Antwan Randle-El who was able to make the same transition from college QB to WR.
    wow - is he that bad down there in FL? I guess so. Surprising. I watched the kid play for four years at West Virginia - and he was electric on the field in that system. He's certainly small - but I actually thought it was a pretty good pick for the Dolphins - having incorportated that "Wildcat" option play into their offense. He is (not sure if I'm going to use 'was' yet) a great fit for that offensive package. WIth White's ability - they could run that formation and change out the RB for White to take the snap, or put White out in the receiver position that Pennington would split out and really give a defense fits. That's where I thought they were going with the pick.

They had a bunch of injuries to key players last year and got away from the wildcat offense. We'll see what happens this year. I understand he was out of camp for a day or two for "personal reasons". What that may be - who knows - but I think he's in camp now - and I'd expect to see him used more just as I described.

A traditional NFL QB - this kid is not - but neither is Tim Tebow. (I'm not comparing the two in ability - only in style/type of offense they came out of). In the big picture - I think the league might be changing a bit to reflect the kinds of option and spread offenses that are being built in colleges these days - and I think the Dolphins might be right there on the forefront of that happening.

FootballFan, I agree with you on trying Pat White out at different positions in the Wildcat. Maybe they have done this in practice and had it not work out, I don't know. I would think that White has some versatility though and could make something happen. One thing not in his favor is the thought that the Dolphins will be using less of the Wildcat and a more traditional offense this year. If that is the case, and he is not progressing as a throwing QB, I could see him being cut loose - depending on his cap number, I don't know it off the top of my head.