Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: Pat White. Staying or going?

  1. #11
       
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    East Central Florida
    Posts
    299
    I am completely in favor of trying him at other positions, but the problem is Pat White doesn't want to be anything but a QB. He has said as much at least 2 times. The last time over the summer he tweeted that he would rather quit and play baseball before switching. So what do you do with that. I can't figure it out with him, he was certainly successful in college, but he is slow reading defenses and still making errant throws all over the place. The only thing I can guess is the Dolphins don't let him use gloves. Why? I don't have a clue but maybe he can no longer grip the ball and that is causing his throwing problems.

    The fact is, Ronnie Brown is more of a threat running and throwing the ball than Pat White is.
    Buckle Dem Chinstraps Primadonnas!

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinindian View Post
    The fact is, Ronnie Brown is more of a threat running and throwing the ball than Pat White is.
    That made me laugh, but it's sad that this is what it's come to. Such a dynamic college passer and runner that can't translate to the NFL.

  3. #13
       
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    68
    I agree with the points above. He was in a college system that utilized his skills perfectly. But sadly, college success at the QB position doesn't always translate to pro success as many heisman winners can attest, Chris Weinke, Jason White, Eric Crouch, Andre Ware, Gino Torreta, Ty Detmer etc... All except Crouch were in pro-style passing offenses. The list is astounding. Tebow will be the next to change the trend.

    But it's really not up to Pat White to say what position he wants to play. The question should be, how bad does he want to stay in the NFL? A willingness to change position will answer that question...

  4. #14
       
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    East Central Florida
    Posts
    299
    Quote Originally Posted by PhinsJunkie View Post
    I agree with the points above. He was in a college system that utilized his skills perfectly. But sadly, college success at the QB position doesn't always translate to pro success as many heisman winners can attest, Chris Weinke, Jason White, Eric Crouch, Andre Ware, Gino Torreta, Ty Detmer etc... All except Crouch were in pro-style passing offenses. The list is astounding. Tebow will be the next to change the trend.

    But it's really not up to Pat White to say what position he wants to play. The question should be, how bad does he want to stay in the NFL? A willingness to change position will answer that question...
    There are plenty of Pro-Style college Qb's that bust in the NFL, but there are very few Spread Qb's that have been able to make the change. Off the top of my head I can't even think of one, but I'm sure there have been. It's one of the reasons that I am very concerned about future Qb's coming out of college the spread, like the run and shoot before it doesn't seem to make NFL ready QB's. I am afraid we will see a dillution of talent at the Qb spot in the future if it caontinues. I am probably overreacting but I still can't come up with a successful one yet.
    Buckle Dem Chinstraps Primadonnas!

  5. #15
       
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinindian View Post
    There are plenty of Pro-Style college Qb's that bust in the NFL, but there are very few Spread Qb's that have been able to make the change. Off the top of my head I can't even think of one, but I'm sure there have been. It's one of the reasons that I am very concerned about future Qb's coming out of college the spread, like the run and shoot before it doesn't seem to make NFL ready QB's. I am afraid we will see a dillution of talent at the Qb spot in the future if it caontinues. I am probably overreacting but I still can't come up with a successful one yet.
    I can only come up with Tim Couch as having some moderate success. He came out of the Kentucky spread offense. But all we need to do is look at all of the QBs to come out of the "fun-and-gun" Florida Gator system. Rex Grossman is the only one you can name without somewhat shaking your head. And that's saying a lot!

    If a QB can't learn to drop back and read a defense and make adjustments on the fly, I think regardless of what "gaudy" numbers he puts up in college, it's a red flag to stay away from him.

Similar Threads

  1. NFP News - Virginia Destroyers sign Dolphins bust Pat White
    By Administrator in forum National Football Post
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-27-2011, 01:20 PM
  2. NFP News - Jabaal Sheard staying ready
    By Administrator in forum National Football Post
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-25-2011, 11:10 AM
  3. NFP News - Patriots staying mum on workouts
    By Administrator in forum National Football Post
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-19-2011, 04:30 PM
  4. Jets Sign Pat White
    By PhinsJunkie in forum Dolphins
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-11-2010, 09:08 AM
  5. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-05-2010, 01:40 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •