Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One Week

Blog Entries

One Week

Cleveland kicks off against Cincinnati. Expats, make sure one of your local bars has Sunday Ticket.

Keep calm and carry on.
    @kocsan

Browns and Bengals finished a combined 9-23 last year, the battle of Ohio isn't what it used to be. Actually, I guess it is. The two teams have combined for 4 playoff appearances the last 20 years. Only twice in history have the Browns and Bengals made the playoffs in the same year, '82 and '88, and in '82 the Browns did it with a 4-5 record. And, of course, no team has ever brought the Lombardi trophy home to Ohio, combining for 2 Super Bowl appearances, both losses to the 49ers. Maybe this is the year for the all Ohio, McCoy vs Dalton AFC Championship game (but I doubt it).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Freeland View Post
    Browns and Bengals finished a combined 9-23 last year, the battle of Ohio isn't what it used to be. Actually, I guess it is. The two teams have combined for 4 playoff appearances the last 20 years. Only twice in history have the Browns and Bengals made the playoffs in the same year, '82 and '88, and in '82 the Browns did it with a 4-5 record. And, of course, no team has ever brought the Lombardi trophy home to Ohio, combining for 2 Super Bowl appearances, both losses to the 49ers. Maybe this is the year for the all Ohio, McCoy vs Dalton AFC Championship game (but I doubt it).
    ...Debbie Downer over here. I think seven wins would have to be considered a successful season for each of these teams this year. My approach these days, though, has been that I get to watch my team play sixteen games each year, and I should do my best to enjoy them (insofar as that is possible when you generally lose 75% of them). In any case, I think the Browns are improving--whether everyone is sold on McCoy or not--the difference between 2009 and 2010 was night and day. In 2009, they played soul-crushing, awful football; in 2010, it was more frustrating, inconsistent football.

You bring up an interesting point about rivalries in the AFC North. I've always thought one of the most interesting things about the Browns-Steelers rivalry is that, historically, the teams are basically never good at the same time. In the '50s and '60s, the Browns were flush and the Steelers were a joke; in the '70s, the Steelers won four Super Bowls and the Browns were largely irrelevant; in the '80s, the Browns went three AFC Championship Games and the Steelers had a post-Bradshaw hangover; since the Cowher era, the Steelers have been dominant and the Browns have been struggling to get to mediocrity.

I think there's plenty to look forward to this year from the Browns, though, if you're not stupid and you don't expect the team to go 13-3.
    @kocsan

I am hoping for 7 wins and clear signs that we are finally going to be a good team soon. Beating the Bengals - who have to be considered one of the 4 worst teams in the league - is something that the Browns just HAVE to do.

And I will go out on a very short limb and say that Eric Mangini was a brutal head coach - so bad in fact that he will never get another head coaching gig in the NFL. Ditching him should be good for a couple of wins right out of the gate.
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mkocs6 View Post
    ...Debbie Downer over here. I think seven wins would have to be considered a successful season for each of these teams this year. My approach these days, though, has been that I get to watch my team play sixteen games each year, and I should do my best to enjoy them (insofar as that is possible when you generally lose 75% of them). In any case, I think the Browns are improving--whether everyone is sold on McCoy or not--the difference between 2009 and 2010 was night and day. In 2009, they played soul-crushing, awful football; in 2010, it was more frustrating, inconsistent football.

You bring up an interesting point about rivalries in the AFC North. I've always thought one of the most interesting things about the Browns-Steelers rivalry is that, historically, the teams are basically never good at the same time. In the '50s and '60s, the Browns were flush and the Steelers were a joke; in the '70s, the Steelers won four Super Bowls and the Browns were largely irrelevant; in the '80s, the Browns went three AFC Championship Games and the Steelers had a post-Bradshaw hangover; since the Cowher era, the Steelers have been dominant and the Browns have been struggling to get to mediocrity.

I think there's plenty to look forward to this year from the Browns, though, if you're not stupid and you don't expect the team to go 13-3.
    I don't think that's a Debbie Downer philosophy at all. If a team is as downtrodden as Cleveland, or Buffalo, or Detroit, etc, I think as a fan you have to look for 3 year increments. Last year, all three of those teams showed signs. Detroit with some top end talent and the hope of health from their QB savior, Cleveland with a little more spunk on offense, mixed with some high end young talent on the other side of the ball, and Buffalo with total spunk, despite disappointment from some of their would-be high end talent.

Detroit is the best bet of the 3 to have a shot in the 2nd year of their cycle, but if they don't, I still don't think that's reason for pessimism. Cleveland's next step is to become a dangerous .500 team, much like Tampa was last year. .500 could mean 8-8, 7-9, 9-7, even 10-6, although the high end is extremely unlikely. But there's clear reason for optimism, even if the end result isn't likely to be a playoff berth. Buffalo is interesting. They showed signs of life last year with guys who either completely came out of nowhere (Stevie Johnson), or with guys who are thought of as stopgaps (Fitz, FJack). I think that's the reason for continued pessimism about the Bills, but if Spiller shows signs this season, and if Dareus becomes a star pass rusher, along with solid play from Williams and Sheppard, then they may be a lot closer to hope than anyone realizes.

But as for Cleveland, the NFL is better when the Browns-Steelers rivalry is alive and well. I want to hate the Browns again. Because if I hate the Browns again, that means they're good, and we're all better off for it. I'm getting the impression that we're getting closer and closer to the day where I can officially say that I really despise the Browns. And that's a good thing.
    "I'd knock your brains out, then pick them up later."

-Marion Motley

Blog Entries
    Sorry, Trumpet. I meant Andy was being a Debbie Downer. I was unclear.
    @kocsan

Blog Entries
    Well, being a Debbie Downer is Andy's sole purpose in life, so that makes sense. It will all come down on him when he finishes 3-10 in the FPIII liga de fantasie.
    "I'd knock your brains out, then pick them up later."

-Marion Motley

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetbdw View Post
    It will all come down on him when he finishes 3-10 in the FPIII liga de fantasie.
    That's going on the bulletin board.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
    I am hoping for 7 wins and clear signs that we are finally going to be a good team soon. Beating the Bengals - who have to be considered one of the 4 worst teams in the league - is something that the Browns just HAVE to do.

And I will go out on a very short limb and say that Eric Mangini was a brutal head coach - so bad in fact that he will never get another head coaching gig in the NFL. Ditching him should be good for a couple of wins right out of the gate.
    (1) Agreed. The Browns have added talent and have improved, but the best way for them to show they're ready to establish themselves as a good team soon would be to consistently beat bad football teams. The Browns opening eight weeks of the schedule: Cincinnati; @ Indianapolis (possibly sans Manning); Miami; Tennessee; bye; @ Oakland; Seattle; @ San Francisco. There are some wretched, wretched football teams on that list, and if the Colts don't have Manning (or have a really suspect Manning), there is not team in those first seven games the Browns cannot beat. The question becomes not how many games can we win, but how consistent will this team be? If the Browns play seven solid games, they could easily be 5-2 going into Week 9. I don't think I'm being overly optimistic by saying that. The Browns need to prove they can do that, though.

(2) Mangini may have gotten his second job too soon. He didn't change at all between his first gig with the Jets and his second with the Browns, and so it's no wonder that his methods didn't work. I have no idea what he was like in practice, but as a gameday coach he was absolutely dreadful. That Belichick takes these ballboys and turns them into guys who become head coaches is amazing, especially considering each of them has almost always been a total disaster.

(2a) Something about Mangini that I always thought was telling was his hire of Brian Daboll. The head coach, by his own admission, knows nothing about offense, so he hired someone who knew even less about offense than he did! It would be like a young businessowner--I use a chef as an example, because I'm most familiar with kitchens--not hiring the most qualified, best trained people to man his kitchen because he's afraid he'll be overshadowed by others- makes you think he's not ready to run his own kitchen. I think that's Mangini in a nutshell.
    @kocsan

by the way, why does andy hate Ohio so much?
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur