Page 16 of 192 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666116 ... LastLast

Thread: The Off-Topic Thread

Whaaat?!? When did Macaulay Culkin get so old?
    If you ask me how I want to be remembered, it is as a winner. You know what a winner is? A winner is somebody who has given his best effort, who has tried the hardest they possibly can, who has utilized every ounce of energy and strength within them to accomplish something. It doesn't mean that they accomplished it or failed, it means that they've given it their best. That's a winner.”
    ― Walter Payton

Quote Originally Posted by Docta View Post
    When did Dennis Leary become anorexic?
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

Blog Entries
    This is the single greatest use of legos of all-time.

See, Defenestration of Prague.
    @kocsan

Quote Originally Posted by mkocs6 View Post
    This is the single greatest use of legos of all-time.
    Is this your grad school project?
    “Everybody counts or nobody does.” – Detective Harry Bosch

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brauneyz View Post
    Is this your grad school project?
    Speaking of grad school projects (you were a month ago anyway), we're getting into paper-writing season. I like to write to ridiculously dramatic, over-the-top music.

Here's what I'm working to right now, for all you Anglophiles out there:

When you get to 3:47, it's just glorious.

Also, it was no lego Defenestration of Prague (see above), but during undergrad, I took a lot of military history courses at Ohio State (my subject matter has evolved a bit), but I was kind of the academic version of gymrat, and I recruited a bunch of my friends who were either contemplating or declared history majors to Dr. Guilmartin's courses. Dr. G is this old Texan, Vietnam vet who flew helicopters in two separate tours, and in the interval between went and got a Ph.D from Princeton. (Brilliant guy, works mostly on sixteenth century Mediterranean galley warfare, but still very down to earth. I mean, the dude evacuated from the American embassy at the Fall of Saigon. There's a special place in heaven for this man and he'd never lord it over you.) Anyway, every quarter (ten week quarters at Ohio State just gave way to fifteen week semesters, but they were the way of things the whole time I was a student) he offered his European military history survey, you had a choice of three assignments: (1) a comparative book review of two books; (2) a research paper, which is what I usually did; or (3) some sort of special project, re-creating...something. Like, building a trebuchet, or something, I guess. Honestly, I don't know why this was even on there, because it just sounds like it could only end in disaster.

So, enter my fraternity brother Sam, who decided he didn't want to write a paper, so he decides to re-create the battlements of the First Siege of Vienna, particularly the sortie of October 6th. Well, anyway, he left the thing until the last minute--as I always did for papers, I'll admit, and often still do--but, predictably, this took far longer than any undergraduate term paper would have taken and involved a much more comprehensive effort. He basically needed to get fraternity brothers to pull the all-nighter with him, gluing down figurines and whatever. (I should add, the project also wasn't a great idea, because it didn't actually explain anything.) Anyway, just let the legos be the legos--they need not be a project, and it would ruin them if they were.
    @kocsan

OK, what?

Blog Entries
    Procrastination. Everywhere.
    @kocsan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mkocs6 View Post
    Procrastination. Everywhere.
    Just curious. Have you ever read the "What if?" books based on possible fallout if certain things had not fallen as they did during significant battles in history? I found them to be enjoyable reads. Certainly more entertaining but less informative than Michael Grant's book on the fall of the Roman Empire. Of course, I consider Grant's work to be the "short short" version of Edward Gibbon's stuff.
    The podcast: www.polishguypodcast.blogspot.com

It's a podcast done by a ninja who is Polish!

"I don't believe in a lot of things, but I believe in duct tape."-Miles on "Lost."

twitter: @PguyPodcast

lol Understood!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Polishguy00 View Post
    Just curious. Have you ever read the "What if?" books based on possible fallout if certain things had not fallen as they did during significant battles in history? I found them to be enjoyable reads. Certainly more entertaining but less informative than Michael Grant's book on the fall of the Roman Empire. Of course, I consider Grant's work to be the "short short" version of Edward Gibbon's stuff.
    I've heard of the book, but have not read it. Counterfactual history isn't academic, but those are fun questions to chew on because they're impossible to answer. I think military history has gotten a bad rap these days from the academy, the reasons for which are often logical (there have been an awful lot of books written about battles, so it's hard to write an original dissertation on one) but also political (academics are unabashedly left, so disdain for military topics comes pretty naturally).
    @kocsan