Thread: Deshea Townsend

Deshea Townsend

I see my colts just signed him,was wondering from steeler fans what kind of player this guy is?Is he washed up?
    There is only one immutable law in life - in a gentleman's toilet, incoming traffic has the right of way.
    -Hugh Leonard

Deshea's biggest attributes that I have seen in the later stages of his career have been his instincts, communication skills pre-snap, and his willingness to remain tough and chase down ball carriers when RB's get to the second level or to the edge near the sideline. I do not believe he is washed up, but is lacking vertical leaping ability to go up and defend large receiving targets in the red zone.

Deshea still has closing and recovery speed, so if an opposing receiver happens to get initial separation at the line of scrimmage, he can make up for it and still be in position for a pass breakup or even an interception. I'm not sure how his transition will be going from a 3-4 to the 4-3 that the Colts use, but one thing I can mention about the mental side of the game is that Deshea knows how to play the corner spots on both sides along with the corner spot in nickel and dime packages. Colts fans should not have to worry too much about mental errors or breakdowns from this guy....and having his versatility to adapt in the middle of the game to secondary injuries or substitutions will be a contribution that cannot be taken for granted.

While Deshea is certainly not washed up in my opinion, he is at the point in his career where he is a nickel/dime guy primarily. The last thing I'd like to mention is that it should be a smooth process for Deshea to develop chemistry with the Colts team on and off the field. The man has been a consumate professional and a great locker room presence.
    Just call me Ott.

very good,have heard hes a great team guy,thanks for all the info!
    There is only one immutable law in life - in a gentleman's toilet, incoming traffic has the right of way.
    -Hugh Leonard