Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please explain things to me

Blog Entries

Please explain things to me

Look, I get we were lucky last year, regarding we played some backup QBs last year. We also were particularly healthy. But I don't see why we are projected to go under .500 this year, specially when you consider that we did it against a pretty tough schedule last year anyways. The NFC South is similar to the East last year, and the AFC West will be a lot easier than the AFC East was. Specially since we play the top 2 (KC and SD) from week 11 onwards in our house.

- We shored up our OL somewhat. Carimi is great talent, and hopefully we'll finally get some push in the running game with him. Chris Spencer is an upgrade at Center when he finally starts playing. Anybody is better than Frank "the toreador" Omiyale at protecting our QBs blind side.

- We got a real complimentary back to Forte in Barber. Taylor was an older version of Forte, and though we handled the Taylor issue atrociously, we still upgraded the position.

- Roy Williams was a waste of money, but hopefully it lit a fire under Johny Knox, who last year would sometimes forget to run the right routes. (Silver lining).

- Peppers played great even after he got paid (my greatest fear), and he has always been consistent. Urlacher is having to replace raw physical ability with canniness, but he still has another year in the tank at least. Briggs, if he wants to be traded, will have to play hard this year, or see his value drop.

- Cutler will want to clear his name. From the start I've borught up that I thought the idea of criticizing the most sacked QB in the league for being soft was the epitome of idiocy. He got killed, and kept coming back for more. Say what you want, Cutler never was skittish or checking down even when he was getting murdered. I like players with chip on their shoulders.

- When people talk about our luck regarding injuries, they seem to forget that 09' was plagued by them. Regression to the mean doesn't mean that we'll all of the sudden get a rash of injuries. It just means we'll probably go back to our historic injury rate.

- We lost the kick returns, but there still are the Punt Returns to consider. And even the Kick returns aren't a gimme in Soldier Field.

All the above considered. I'd imagine our Defense will take a couple of steps back due to injuries, but our offense should actually improve. If it even goes up to mediocre standards, it will be a vast improvement.

Talk me out of at least 9 Wins...
    “Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

Blog Entries
    There is some support to what you say and I wish I could agree, but I do think there will be some tough days for that O-Line. Our schedule is extremely difficult early and that can lead to things imploding. Also, there is probably no other team that will be affected more by the lack of field position advantage that we had last year due to kickoff rule changes.
    The podcast: www.polishguypodcast.blogspot.com

It's a podcast done by a ninja who is Polish!

"I don't believe in a lot of things, but I believe in duct tape."-Miles on "Lost."

twitter: @PguyPodcast

In my opinion, the reason that people are down on the Bears isn't because of anything that the Bears did but more about who is in their division. Green Bay coming off a Super Bowl makes them the easy favorite and the Lions are everyone's sexy cinderella pick this year. So unless somebody thinks 3 teams are coming out of the North this year, the Bears are kind of the team to fall off by default.

I understand everything you're saying. I hope we are better than the 8-8 I am tentatively predicting for the Chicago Bears. But there were some huge red flags going into this year.
    1) You mentioned the fact that we were extremely healthy last year. Those things don't tend to repeat themselves. If we had what could be considered a "true average" amount of injuries, we may have lost 1 or 2 more games. I know, it's impossible to say but still.
    2) Urlacher and Briggs aren't getting any younger. I'm wondering if their time will come quickly. Remember that in the NFL, once you lose it you rarely get it back.
    3) The AFC West is easier than the AFC East. But I think the NFC South is a significantly better division this year than the NFC East was last year (Comparing NFC South to last year NFC East, NO > Philly, Atl > NYG, TB > Dal, Car = Wash). Also, the NFC North will be tougher because I think GB will be healthier and better, Minnesota will be better w/o Favre, and Detroit will be better too.
    4) I don't think our OL could be worse than it was last year, but with a whole new line that has only had a few weeks to be able to work together, I'm not sure it'll be a whole lot better.
    5) I'm just so done with Cutler as anything more than an average QB. He may want to prove himself, but he doesn't seem to have the brains to run the offense effectively on a consistent basis.

An o-line that is without its best player & leader (Kreutz) coupled with an offensive coordinator who stubbornly insists on calling pass plays that take forever to develop are what give me pause when evaluating the Bears. Add Roy Williams and the headaches which he brings (has he started blabbing to the scribes about "getting this thing going" yet?), the aforementioned kickoff rules limiting Hester's impact, losing Olsen, an aging defense...

Oh. And your guys have to face the Packers D twice, Jared Allen twice and the Disassembly Line twice (including a Monday night visit to Ford Field where The House of Spears will be coming for a couple pints of Jay Jay's blood).

Screw you guys, I'm going home.

I think the bears will be .500ish...you guys got very lucky at points and the kickoff rule will hurt badly. The deciding factor when GB played the bears week 3 was special teams. Hester won that game. When Masthay/Crosby stepped their game up, the Packers had the edge. Lowest I'd see them though is 7-9 I can see them being a 9 win team as well, but I'm just not crazy about them.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RSConn5 View Post
    In my opinion, the reason that people are down on the Bears isn't because of anything that the Bears did but more about who is in their division. Green Bay coming off a Super Bowl makes them the easy favorite and the Lions are everyone's sexy cinderella pick this year. So unless somebody thinks 3 teams are coming out of the North this year, the Bears are kind of the team to fall off by default.
    That's something else I don't get. The Lions improved on a unit that was already strong, rushing the passer from the Nose. But they didn't shore up their Run Defense, and their secondary is still a sieve. And apparently a kid who hasn't even played a whole season worth of games is going to survive with his LT coming off an injury, in a division where he has 6 games against the likes of the Bloodline, Jared Allen and Julius Peppers. Even the pass rush he plays against early in the season is formidable:

1) Clayborne and Bowers
    2) Tamba Hali and Fat Romeo as coordinator
    3) Jared Allen
    4) Demarcus Ware
    5) Julius Peppers and Lance Briggs

Add that Megatron never plays a full season, and their running back can't stay healthy...

I believe Minessota is the true dark horse in this division, not Detroit. And even then, their OL is almost as suspect as Chicago's, and their secondary is almost as bad as Detroit's.

So I agree we can regress, and not make the playoffs, but I don't see us coming in third in the division.

I'm not buying the Detroit kool-aid.
    “Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

A quarterback in the Mike Martz offense is going to get hit a lot. That's the way Matz runs his schemes.

Kurt Warner took a beating in St. Louis. Personally, I think that's what led to the drop-off in his performance and his eventual release. Once he got to an offense that protected him, his game blossomed again.

Chicago's o-line may be bad. But even a good line wouldn't save Cutler's body. Compounding the problem is that Cutler seems to like holding onto the ball. That probably ensures he's going to get sacked a lot again. So I see issues there.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBearsFan View Post
    I understand everything you're saying. I hope we are better than the 8-8 I am tentatively predicting for the Chicago Bears. But there were some huge red flags going into this year.
    1) You mentioned the fact that we were extremely healthy last year. Those things don't tend to repeat themselves. If we had what could be considered a "true average" amount of injuries, we may have lost 1 or 2 more games. I know, it's impossible to say but still.
    Injuries aren't an advanced stat. They either happen or they don't. Players get more injury prone as they age, and the Bears do have a lot of veterans, but as long as they play to their own level, they'll be okay.
    If you ask me how I want to be remembered, it is as a winner. You know what a winner is? A winner is somebody who has given his best effort, who has tried the hardest they possibly can, who has utilized every ounce of energy and strength within them to accomplish something. It doesn't mean that they accomplished it or failed, it means that they've given it their best. That's a winner.”
    ― Walter Payton

Quote Originally Posted by iwatt View Post
    That's something else I don't get. The Lions improved on a unit that was already strong, rushing the passer from the Nose. But they didn't shore up their Run Defense, and their secondary is still a sieve. And apparently a kid who hasn't even played a whole season worth of games is going to survive with his LT coming off an injury, in a division where he has 6 games against the likes of the Bloodline, Jared Allen and Julius Peppers. Even the pass rush he plays against early in the season is formidable:

1) Clayborne and Bowers
    2) Tamba Hali and Fat Romeo as coordinator
    3) Jared Allen
    4) Demarcus Ware
    5) Julius Peppers and Lance Briggs

Add that Megatron never plays a full season, and their running back can't stay healthy...

I believe Minessota is the true dark horse in this division, not Detroit. And even then, their OL is almost as suspect as Chicago's, and their secondary is almost as bad as Detroit's.

So I agree we can regress, and not make the playoffs, but I don't see us coming in third in the division.

I'm not buying the Detroit kool-aid.
    I am cautiously optimistic about the Lions. Best's health is a big concern as is Stafford's. But the assertion that CJ "never plays a full season", while technically true, is somewhat misleading. Megatron has played in 15, 16, 14, and 15 games in his four season in the league. It's not like he misses six games a year or something. Also, adding Stephen Tulloch and Jusin Durant at LB should be a huge upgrade to their run defense (esp. Tulloch). Deandre Levy is a pretty sure tackler and is moving back to his natural position as an OLB.

The NFCN should be fun to watch again this year. Even the Viqueens could be sneaky good if McNabb can squeeze a decent season out of his arse. But that is another team with an aging defense and questions along the O-line.
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.