Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bring it on...

Blog Entries

Bring it on...

Well, Mikesteelnation1. It looks like it's me and you. Many are predicting relative doom for the Steelers. I have never been more confident in a season than I am this one. Can't think of a better way to start this season than to take apart the Ravens. I'm thinking this is going to be a great year.
    "I'd knock your brains out, then pick them up later."

-Marion Motley

It does seem to be just the two of us, not the will smith song BTW! I agree wholeheartedly, the steelers will be better than last year. The offense has the looks of the best unit in franchise history. Ben isn't coming in week 4 with no practice time. He got the same prep time as everyone else. He's grown up a ton and BTW he did lead the league in yards per game last year after returning. The best receiving core Ben has ever had and the best rb Ben has ever had. The bus was a beast, but he had half the pressure in the tires when Ben played with him. This unit sets the team record for points per game unless Arians screws it up with his assinine predictable play calling at times.

The d is healthy, most importantly polamalu. They will perform as they have for the last 10+ years and deliver another top notch defensive effort.

The schedule is as soft as a marty schottenheimer playoff team! It's a relatively easy 12 win schedule. And it just got considerably easier with manning not being healthy. If there are no key injuries this is a sure fire 12 win team. There will be no superbowl hangover. We were hungover from celebrating the last two times, no such luck this time. We lost, and they're p*ssed off about it. The ravens will be the first to see to what degree. I'm glad we have the away game week one vs Baltimore. They changed a ton of players on offense. Their timing will be off. Their o line is almost totally different, good luck on the blocking adjustment calls. I see lots of sacks. Also look at their secondary. Good lord, if not for reed this would be an unmitigated disaster!! Neither corner has an NFL start and the other safety hasn't played much. If reed isn't superman bens going to have a big game. Add to that Ben has done an excellent job of not falling into reed's very well laid traps and I see the 1st game in a bit being decided by more than 7 points.

Trumpet and i look forward to your slings and arrows of our assessment...
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Blog Entries
    I have you guys winning the AFC North, finishing 3rd in the AFC overall (behind New England and San Diego), and losing in the AFC Championship to New England. I'm thinking 11, 12 wins in the regular season.
    @kocsan

Steelers are a damn fine team. Much respect for them. I think they'll do well, starting with beating Ravens opening day, and taking the division. No worries.

Oh yeah, go Pats!

Quote Originally Posted by brauneyz View Post
    Steelers are a damn fine team. Much respect for them. I think they'll do well, starting with beating Ravens opening day, and taking the division. No worries.

Oh yeah, go Pats!
    I'm just hoping Ben gets past the tommy boy kryptonite or u guys get the ravens or jets in the playoffs before us in the afc champ game!!!
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Quote Originally Posted by mkocs6 View Post
    I have you guys winning the AFC North, finishing 3rd in the AFC overall (behind New England and San Diego), and losing in the AFC Championship to New England. I'm thinking 11, 12 wins in the regular season.
    11 wins is crazy talk. Have you seen our schedule? The last 8 weeks we have one team that was .500, and that team is the chiefs. Who won't be .500 this year. The other team with more than 5 wins is the rams. What concerns me most about the schedule is Pittsburgh has nothing but cream puffs for almost half a season in a row!! Does it make them less game tested once the playoffs start? All I can say is I don't think it will. Tomlin will keep them on the straight and narrow, but it could be an issue..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesteelnation1 View Post
    11 wins is crazy talk. Have you seen our schedule? The last 8 weeks we have one team that was .500, and that team is the chiefs. Who won't be .500 this year. The other team with more than 5 wins is the rams. What concerns me most about the schedule is Pittsburgh has nothing but cream puffs for almost half a season in a row!! Does it make them less game tested once the playoffs start? All I can say is I don't think it will. Tomlin will keep them on the straight and narrow, but it could be an issue..
    In 2009, you guys lost five games in a row to the Bengals, Chiefs, Ravens, Raiders, and Browns. It's not inconceivable you drop a game or two to an inferior team. These are still NFL franchises and the margin for error is small.
    @kocsan

"The d is healthy, most importantly polamalu. They will perform as they have for the last 10+ years and deliver another top notch defensive effort."

I think that's where the issue might be. All these guys have performed for 7-10+ years on D. They are a little long in the tooth on that side of the ball and guys tend to regress once they get older and dinged up. Unless of course they're Barry Bonds and are all hopped up on PED's
    Your soldiers are nothing, Matrix and I could kill every one of them, at the blink of an eye - you remember that. - Bennett

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    "The d is healthy, most importantly polamalu. They will perform as they have for the last 10+ years and deliver another top notch defensive effort."

I think that's where the issue might be. All these guys have performed for 7-10+ years on D. They are a little long in the tooth on that side of the ball and guys tend to regress once they get older and dinged up. Unless of course they're Barry Bonds and are all hopped up on PED's
    Sure the starters are. Have you viewed the depth chart before posting that comment? I'll assume you haven't based on your comment. The only guy who doesn't have a legit backup that's super important is polamalu.

Blog Entries
    There's also a potential depth problem behind Casey Hampton, but yes, the Steelers may be old in the starting lineup, but there are youngsters NEARLY everywhere that can step in and provide similar results (Hood, Heyward, Sylvester, Worilds, etc.

Polamalu is the key as always. He does so much different that if he's out or not 100%, as in the Super Bowl, it completely changes everyone's assignment on defense. There's no way to replace him. When the Colts are without Manning, a main reason they become incompetent is because they've totally ignored the backup position for the past decade. With the Steelers, it doesn't matter who's behind Polamalu because he's so unique in his style of play. So the only chance for them to underwhelm this season is if he can't stay on the field.

And I will throw this out there as well. Last year, they seemed disinterested at times. They were very up and down. The Bills game is a key example, but you can also look to their disjointed efforts in every playoff game. That's where I think the Super Bowl loss helped them. I see an extreme focus, and on that team, extreme focus combined with Polamalu's health equals a 13 win minimum.

And I want NE. Bring on the Pats. For once, I want the Steelers to have to go through NE, and to do it. That, along with their inability to put up any kind of defense of a championship, have been the most disappointing features of the Super Bowl run, so hopefully they rectify their NE troubles this season.
    "I'd knock your brains out, then pick them up later."

-Marion Motley