0 0%
  • Cards

1 100.00%

Thread: Week 1-Arizona Cardinals 28 Carolina Panthers 21-September 11,2011

Week 1-Arizona Cardinals 28 Carolina Panthers 21-September 11,2011

4:15 pm ET

Line-Cards-7.5
    Weather http://www.weather.com/weather/today...ix+AZ+USAZ0166

*-Carolina, which has dropped its last eight road games, is 4-0 all-time at Arizona and has won seven straight in this series during the regular season.
    azcardinals.com

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- Rookie Patrick Peterson made amends for a long afternoon at cornerback with an 89-yard punt return for the go-ahead touchdown and the Arizona Cardinals overcame a magnificent NFL debut by Cam Newton to escape with a 28-21 victory over the Carolina Panthers on Sunday.

Newton, the No. 1 draft pick playing on the same field where he led Auburn to the BCS championship in January, completed 24 of 37 passes for 422 yards and two touchdowns with one interception, the first rookie to throw for more than 400 yards in his NFL opener.

The Panthers had first down at the Arizona 11 late in the game, and even got an extra down on an offside call, but failed to score. Steve Smith had eight catches for 178 yards for Carolina, including touchdown plays of 77 and 26 yards.

Kevin Kolb was 18 of 27 for 309 yards and two touchdowns in his first game for Arizona.

Copyright by STATS LLC and The Associated Press
    Last edited by Colts01; 09-11-2011 at 07:42 PM.
    There is only one immutable law in life - in a gentleman's toilet, incoming traffic has the right of way.
    -Hugh Leonard

Blog Entries
    I am drinking the single game Kool-Aid for Zona here. They won't be a playoff team this year, but if you give me a chance to bet against a rookie QB on the road traveling West, I will take it every time. Zona 32 Carolina 9.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." - Mark Twain

Wow on Newton.
    There is only one immutable law in life - in a gentleman's toilet, incoming traffic has the right of way.
    -Hugh Leonard

Trying to decide if this was all about Newton and Carolina, or about Arizona's defense...
    "Make sure you come to the game day chat to see my feeble attempts at typing there, it's abhorrent. "
    or as gobig calls it "Ragaring"

Hot damn! The Panthers nearly pulled this one out! Newton was playing out of his mind...he did not look like the same kid I saw in the pre-season with the lousy footwork and inaccurate arm. It's been a long time since I've seen the Panthers hit Smith downfield and throw to the tight end with regularity and success. There are still a lot of big holes in this team--there's no excuse for a big mobile guy like Newton to be sacked 5 times, and the running game was non-existent, but they actually won the "time of possession" game. Unheard of. There were far too many penalties and a few of them wiped out terrific plays. I'm hoping that if some of the injured O-Linemen come back all of this will improve, but there's obviously still a serious lack of depth there. The secondary is still suspect and vulnerable to the big play, especially on 3rd down, but overall the defense played pretty well against the run. Or Arizona has a lousy running game. Hard to say at this point.
    But enough criticism--this was the best game I've seen the Panthers play in a very long time. the fact that they didn't win it and I was still pretty happy is a testament to just how crappy they have been. And I take back everything I said about the Panthers' decision to take Newton. Holy moley, what a player.

Blog Entries
    Great commentary Nancy, and spot on with the O-Line issues. That will be the mitigating factor with Newton this year, but he may be able to neutralize it with his mobility. I certainly never saw this coming. I don't think America saw this coming. Hell, Steve Smith didn't even see this coming.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by FessJL0861 View Post
    Hell, Steve Smith didn't even see this coming.
    Newton has brought Smith back to life.
    Last edited by Colts01; 09-12-2011 at 01:37 PM.
    -Hugh Leonard