Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dolphins cut Sapp

Blog Entries

Dolphins cut Sapp

Poor Benny Sapp got cut for missing a tackle. Welker beat him on the 99 yard TD, and rather then admit they called a bad defense for the play, they cut Sapp. It's so unfair, and you wonder why players hold out after a good season...
    "Amy is happily drinking the tears of Broncos fans." Giantsfan97.

Blog Entries
    Benny Sapp got cut because he is bad at football. He had a lot of bad plays and blown assignments against the Patriots because he doesn't realize he's not good enough to gamble as much as he does.
    "Biggest blowout since Andy Reid vs. Skinny jeans" - Colts01

Blog Entries
    Maybe, but cutting him less than 24 hours after the loss smacks of Sparano ass covering.
    “Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

Never like to see a man lose his job but he was awful last night.
    There is only one immutable law in life - in a gentleman's toilet, incoming traffic has the right of way.
    -Hugh Leonard

Blog Entries
    It's also not as if he's an all-pro who just had a bad night.
    Twitter @vancemeek "I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style. Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory...lasts forever."-Shane Falco

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KabaModernFan View Post
    Benny Sapp got cut because he is bad at football. He had a lot of bad plays and blown assignments against the Patriots because he doesn't realize he's not good enough to gamble as much as he does.
    He got cut for the Welker play. He was in good coverage, one on one, on a route the Pats had already used. (A Welker out and up). Sparano sent *both* safety's on a blitz. There was no help and Wes is great at making the first man miss. It was a bad play call, and they cut him to cover the coaches butt. I feel bad for the guy.
    "Amy is happily drinking the tears of Broncos fans." Giantsfan97.

Blog Entries
    Pros need to chime in with details.

I believe that if you are cut AFTER your first regular season game, you are paid your base salary for the season. Obviously not incentives or any variable payments, but the regular salary.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    He got cut for the Welker play. He was in good coverage, one on one, on a route the Pats had already used. (A Welker out and up). Sparano sent *both* safety's on a blitz. There was no help and Wes is great at making the first man miss. It was a bad play call, and they cut him to cover the coaches butt. I feel bad for the guy.
    Maybe, but that still doesn't make this undeserved. Benny Sapp is not good, and I'm sure whoever they'll be plugging in at nickel back now can't possibly be worse than him. As I said, he had more than his fair share of bad plays because he was trying to make the big play instead of just providing solid coverage, and that's been the story for his entire career. He gambles when he can't afford to, and it finally caught up to him.
    "Biggest blowout since Andy Reid vs. Skinny jeans" - Colts01

9. Quote Originally Posted by darvon View Post
    Pros need to chime in with details.

I believe that if you are cut AFTER your first regular season game, you are paid your base salary for the season. Obviously not incentives or any variable payments, but the regular salary.
    If the new CBA remains the same as it was before, which I believe it does in this area, then only after your 4th vested season (5th yr) does the following rule apply: if you make the opening day 53 man roster then you will be paid the entire season salary regardless of what happens after-- which is why you typically would see veterans being cut before then. In any other situation, barring some special clause in the contract, you are only paid "guaranteed money," which is not your season salary. Game checks are paid on Mondays after the game (if I'm remembering right) every week, for 16 weeks (and after each playoff game).

As far as the situation being discussed-- the truth is no one is cut to "cover a coach's butt." Anyone cut in this situation must've been on his last leg anyway, with any number of factors we may not know about (whether personal or professional) influencing the situation. But Amy's right in her statement about the unfairness of it all-- regarding contracts (because players are expected to abide forever-- but owners can do whatever they want), and as a fan growing up I too was angry at "greedy players who held out," that is, until I became an NFL player myself and learned how the business works-- and it IS A BUSINESS first and foremost, unfortunately not the magical, nostalgic game they market it to be...

He may or may not deserve to be cut regarding his talent level, but as in the situation with Carson that I would rather not dive into again, when they [ownership] don't have to abide by their contracts but we are expected to-- I just don't think that's right. Life's not fair, it's true, but that doesn't mean anyone should just shrug their shoulders and look the other way either.
    Lloyd: "swimm?? swami?? s-s-slippy? sssslappy?? slimmon...sommon...simmons..swaa..swan..swanson..s wanson??"
    Harry: "maybe it's on the briefcase, look on the label-"
    Lloyd: "Oh Yeah!! It's right here-- SAM-SO-NITE. I was way off."

The Miami Herald says Sapp was beaten 6 times on Monday night. He might be a scapegoat, but he's also a poor cornerback. They are indeed on the hook for his salary, $1.6 million, sez the paper. He'd just negotiated a $300,000 cut in his wages in hopes of securing his place on the team.

Irony.