Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Official fp star wars thread!!!

Official fp star wars thread!!!

Since Patrick and I are big SW fans, we decided to make a thread! I'll voice my love for the originals and my hatred for the prequels here.

I fell in love with Star Wars as a young boy...I was probably 6ish. The first scene of A New Hope captivated me. This tiny ship being chased by this enormous star cruiser. The Stormtroopers busting in and killing the illequipped rebels. The story of Luke told beautifully. Everything. One simple plot line culminating in a showdown of old enemies. In my opinion, this is the 2nd best lightsaber fight (i'll get to the best later). There are no theatrics. Obi Wan takes the fall to let his friends escape. It's a traumatic event that propels the story.

Empire was great. Lots of action and a truly dark story line. Luke trains with Yoda, Han gets frozen in carbonate, and Luke fights Vader. This is my least favorite fight of the original 3. Vader basically toys with Luke. It's not even really a fight.

Jedi was a fantastic ending to the trillogy. Most of the plot is kind of annoying, especially with the Ewoks. This was Lucas' first dabbling with cute, child friendly characters. The fight at the end of this makes up for it though. It was a great display of passion. Luke loses is and goes nuts. Palpatine tries to kill him, Vader saves Luke.

The Phantom Menace was awful. First off, who was the main character? Was it Qui Gon? No. Obi Wan? No. Anakin? No. Who was Darth Maul? Who was he working for? What was going on? Nobody knows. To show you how poorly developed the characters were, I want you all to describe, without using physical appearance or what he did in the movie, Qui Gon. When you can't think of anything, do the same thing for Han Solo. So there was some dumb race so Lucas could sell toys, Qui Gon swindles some local business people, and Lucas ruins the force by saying it was a microscopic organism. Oh and Jar Jar Binks. Who needs to die.

Attack of the Clones was the worst. I told myself it couldn't be worse than the Phantom Menace. As I left the theater I learned to never trust my own judgement again. It was awful. Lucas ruins the lightsabers by using them every second. In the first 3, the Jedi used it sparingly. When they took it out, they meant business. Luke used a blaster most of the time. Now at the drop of a hat, they ALL use them...even Yoda. Speaking of Yoda, the uniqueness of his training, and the uniqueness of the exercise Obi Wan had Luke do on the Millennium Falcon are diminished in one scene.

Revenge of the Sith wasn't horrible. My one complaint was the saber battle at the end. Why make it so long? We don't care what happens. There's no interest in the characters at this point. They're all weird, sexless, sterile, space monks. It goes on for a month and a half to show off effects. Who cares.

And I think Lucas needs to never touch Star Wars again. By changing Vader's line in Jedi, he ruins 3 movies worth of a character.

I hate George Lucas.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

Oh. And Han shot first. It will always be that way and Pluto will always be a planet dammit.

I too am a big Star Wars fan. I think I was 8 when I first watched. I know I was sick with pneumonia. Ironically, I don't remember anything about how terrible I felt, I just know I was happy to miss school and enjoyed the original trilogy (Han shot first in that version. He always shoots first in my mind). I became a big fan, and I believe it was the start to many nerdy pleasures of my life (Lord of the Rings, Firefly as examples). And yes, I still have many of my action figures, including a mostly intact Millennium Falcon and a Landspeeder

I would disagree slightly with Phantom Menace being awful. It was by no means good, and Jar-Jar still annoys me beyond anything else, but Qui-Gon is totally awesome, and there were some interesting ideas there, and enough worked for me that I would classify it as okay. But, I'm very glad that you speak highly of Return of the Jedi. I feel like, at least among some of my friends, Jedi has become very under appreciated for what it was. C3PO becoming a god still entertains me, and the final confrontation with Palpatine, Vader and Luke is the one of my two favorite parts of the entire series (the other being the trench run in A New Hope).

On a side note, I've just started to get into some Expanded Universe stuff. Any of you guys interested? Any recommendations?

Someone on FP gave me this link. The reviews are rather long but it breaks down the 3 Star Wars prequels film school style and really exposes them for what they really are...2.5 hr pieces of dung. George Lucas completely ruined his own masterpieces (the original 3 Star Wars films).

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/

Blog Entries
    It is somewhat funny that you post this today, as just yesterday I finished re-playing both of the Knights of the Old Republic video games, because my Star Wars nerdiness knows no bounds. I think video games are actually how I first got into the Star Wars franchise, as opposed to any of the movies from the past or...err, recent past.
    "Biggest blowout since Andy Reid vs. Skinny jeans" - Colts01

Well, if I didn't offend anyone with my comments on Roger GODell, I'm sure to alienate you now. Everything Stars Wars sucks!

Star Trek? Now, that's a classic to behold - the original and TNG are simply the best sci-fi stuff to ever hit the airwaves.

Go ahead. Disown me.
    Some people think the name of the Washington Redskins football team is offensive. There’s an easy way to fix that. You can just drop the word ‘Washington.’ ~ Ted Cruz

Quote Originally Posted by Ripperlicious View Post
    Someone on FP gave me this link. The reviews are rather long but it breaks down the 3 Star Wars prequels film school style and really exposes them for what they really are...2.5 hr pieces of dung. George Lucas completely ruined his own masterpieces (the original 3 Star Wars films).

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/
    Lol I posted that! Watch every second of this everybody. They're very funny. He's flippant at parts, but that's to prove a point.

Quote Originally Posted by brauneyz View Post
    Well, if I didn't offend anyone with my comments on Roger GODell, I'm sure to alienate you now. Everything Stars Wars sucks!

Star Trek? Now, that's a classic to behold - the original and TNG are simply the best sci-fi stuff to ever hit the airwaves.

Go ahead. Disown me.
    Get out.

(though I do love me some Star Trek )

Quote Originally Posted by DaBearsFan View Post
    I too am a big Star Wars fan. I think I was 8 when I first watched. I know I was sick with pneumonia. Ironically, I don't remember anything about how terrible I felt, I just know I was happy to miss school and enjoyed the original trilogy (Han shot first in that version. He always shoots first in my mind). I became a big fan, and I believe it was the start to many nerdy pleasures of my life (Lord of the Rings, Firefly as examples). And yes, I still have many of my action figures, including a mostly intact Millennium Falcon and a Landspeeder

I would disagree slightly with Phantom Menace being awful. It was by no means good, and Jar-Jar still annoys me beyond anything else, but Qui-Gon is totally awesome, and there were some interesting ideas there, and enough worked for me that I would classify it as okay. But, I'm very glad that you speak highly of Return of the Jedi. I feel like, at least among some of my friends, Jedi has become very under appreciated for what it was. C3PO becoming a god still entertains me, and the final confrontation with Palpatine, Vader and Luke is the one of my two favorite parts of the entire series (the other being the trench run in A New Hope).

On a side note, I've just started to get into some Expanded Universe stuff. Any of you guys interested? Any recommendations?
    ah the trench run! Gold!

How was Qui Gon cool? He's one of the least memorable characters ever.

Blog Entries
    Big star wars fan as well, and the greatest moent is when Han returns to shoot Vader in the ass during the trench run. Hopefully Lucas won't edit it into Vader shooting first, missing, and then Han honorably shooting back.

Darth Maul is an interesting character, in the EU stuff, but he is sorely misused as nothing but a goon. Still the fight scene against Qui Gon and Obi Wan, coupled together with the awesome Duel of the Fates soundtrack showcases one of Lucas greatest strengths: music coordination. When it rises to a crecendo, the battle follows the rythm.

I think that is one of my favorite things about SW: how iconic and well used the music is.
    “Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte