Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which One?: Mayweather or Ortiz?

Blog Entries
    The only thing talking me into this maybe, possibly, ok probably not a fight is that Ortiz is young (most of May's previous fights were against way-past-their-primers), has some big power, and won't be backing up. Floyd should make him look like a fool, but if he's lost a quarter of a step...
    "I'd knock your brains out, then pick them up later."

-Marion Motley

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetbdw View Post
    The only thing talking me into this maybe, possibly, ok probably not a fight is that Ortiz is young (most of May's previous fights were against way-past-their-primers), has some big power, and won't be backing up. Floyd should make him look like a fool, but if he's lost a quarter of a step...
    Agreed. If PBF is at his normal speed, I just can't see Ortiz getting to him often enough. With boxing, though, getting old can happen almost overnight - see Roy Jones.

I definitely expect PBF to win, as I suggested ... but there's just the smallest touch of doubt.

As for Pacquiao ... no, I legit think Floyd doesn't care if he is damaging the sport, and I don't think he'll lose any sleep over it if he never fights Manny. The fans really want that fight, but I don't think it matters overmuch to Floyd.

Blog Entries
    Now THAT is how you end a fight. And of course it's 100% Mayweather-esque. I don't think anything he did was cheap, he was within the rules and caught Ortiz napping.
    "Biggest blowout since Andy Reid vs. Skinny jeans" - Colts01

Ortiz wasn't going to win anyway, but just because it was fair, doesn't mean it was right.

Looking forward to Mayweather/Merchant next.
    If you ask me how I want to be remembered, it is as a winner. You know what a winner is? A winner is somebody who has given his best effort, who has tried the hardest they possibly can, who has utilized every ounce of energy and strength within them to accomplish something. It doesn't mean that they accomplished it or failed, it means that they've given it their best. That's a winner.”
    ― Walter Payton

Quote Originally Posted by Docta View Post
    Ortiz wasn't going to win anyway, but just because it was fair, doesn't mean it was right.

Looking forward to Mayweather/Merchant next.
    Mayweather / merchant because Floyd is deftly afraid of maybe losing. I think he's a silver spoon punk. He's super talented, and that can't be argued. He's afraid of manny for whatever reason you throw out. He's afraid.. period!! That fight pays 10 times any other, he still dodged. He's afraid.. no self proud pugulist would ever do that. Ali fought foreman..

In my own experience in wrestling, I wanted to wrestle the kid who beat me my soph year in the state championships my junior year. I got my wish. In the state finals... All ill say is I felt so vindicated. If Floyd felt so confident ge would too. There's no excuse, In any way. It would be his highest ever payday. He's afraid to Lose. Nothing more. He's a punk.. that's fact!
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

MMA comments earlier aside.. It might have been fair but I thought the Mayweather punch was cheap. It was obvious Ortiz was going for hug but whatever,it followed a head butt so it wouldn't get to much attention...only boxing fight people the mainstream want to see at this point is the one they will never get unforunately. Though this was the quote of the night to me, well that and Merchant going off in the interview also

@JacksonMark13

Hey Ortiz, Hand Down Man Down!!!!!!!
    FPL: 15 comments can save you 15 minutes or more of embarrassing yourself on a bar discussion

And maybe he is afraid of losing, but he was open to fighting Manny, as long as Manny would take a drug test, and Manny refused.
    If you ask me how I want to be remembered, it is as a winner. You know what a winner is? A winner is somebody who has given his best effort, who has tried the hardest they possibly can, who has utilized every ounce of energy and strength within them to accomplish something. It doesn't mean that they accomplished it or failed, it means that they've given it their best. That's a winner.”
    ― Walter Payton

Well Mayweather is willing to take on an 80 year old man. Let's see him fight Pacquiao.

*edit* I don't want to seem like I'm giving Pacquiao a free ride. Until Pacquiao and Mayweather fight neither will be fully respected.
    Last edited by msclemons; 09-18-2011 at 02:44 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Docta View Post
    And maybe he is afraid of losing, but he was open to fighting Manny, as long as Manny would take a drug test, and Manny refused.
    I share this viewpoint. You can't place all the blame on Mayweather when Manny is just as much to blame for the fight not happening.
    "Biggest blowout since Andy Reid vs. Skinny jeans" - Colts01

Quote Originally Posted by KabaModernFan View Post
    I share this viewpoint. You can't place all the blame on Mayweather when Manny is just as much to blame for the fight not happening.
    The first time they tried to make it. All reports are the second time, Manny agreed to all the testing provisions, and Floyd still would not fight him.

So now, this is more on Mayweather.