Thread: The Good, the Bad and the 49ers - Week 2

The Good, the Bad and the 49ers - Week 2

After failing to choke away the game in Seattle the 49ers were successful against Dallas. They once again got a lead and then went into turtle mode allowing the Cowboys to tie the game and then win in overtime.

The Good
    • Anthony Davis - If I'm going to rag on the guy when he blows it then it's only fair I give him credit when he does well. The lone bright spot on the offensive line had no penalties and didn't miss any blocks that I saw.
    • Alex Smith - It hurts my liver to type this. He actually had a decent game until the coaching staff took the ball out of his hands in the third quarter. He had two really bad throws in the second half but he looked great in the first half (116 QBR). His recovery of a bad snap that turned into a good play was fantastic.
    • Carlos Rogers - He looks like a real cornerback and he broke Romo's rib.
    • Run defense - held the Cowboys to 45 yards and is now #1 in the league.
    • Special Teams - both returns and return coverage units are doing well under new coach Seely.

The Bad
    • Everyone on the O-line besides Davis. They put the "offensive" into "offensive line." The gap between Staley and Iupati was especially troublesome.
    • Vanilla Singletary - two games in a row now the 49ers have shut down the offense in the second half trying to turtle up on a lead. It looked like the 49ers went into their 4 minute offense mid-way through the third quarter. This is the same thing Nolan and Singleltary did and they didn't cost $5 million a year.
    • Madieu Williams - he can't cover and he doesn't tackle well.
    • Pass Defense - allowing nearly 8 yards per attempt
    • 4th and 5 - The 49ers could have won the game on this play. Instead they decided not to cover Whitten.

and the 49ers
    • The first time I have ever seen Candlestick Park taken over by the opponents fans. The crowd sounded like it was a Cowboys' home game.
    • Harbaugh's "West Coast Offense" is really just a dink and dunk up the middle with a few college gimmick plays thrown into the mix. Real WCOs spread the field horizontally and use "advanced" ideas like crossing patterns. Three receivers running 7 yard hitches is not a WCO. That's a college spread offense.
    • Continually running the ball into the teeth of an 8 man front doesn't work. Just ask Singletary. He got fired for doing that. Try the occasional toss, draw or sweep. And I don't mean draws on 3rd and 18.
    • Braylon Edwards - Of course he gets hurt just as he's starting to look really good.
    • Taking the three points instead of the 15 yard penalty. Good lord, how quintessentially Mike Nolan. The penalty would have given the 49ers a first down on the Dallas 22. Even if they only managed to run the ball into the line three times for no gain they would have eaten up nearly 2 minutes and still had a chip shot for Akers. Harbaugh showed absolutely no faith in his offense and you have to believe the players noticed that. Looks like $5 million buys you a big name but not necessarily a pair of balls.

I agree with all of your assessments, except Harbaugh's call to keep the 3 points...points are too hard to come by in this league (especially for the niners).

I just dont understand this Oline, it seems like none of them can put together a good game at the same time, they just have complete lapses in reaction/aggression in clutch moments every game. And the scheme often lets Alex down more than the line. On Ware's sack, he came in unblocked - how is that possible? When these guys are in positions to make the play, they make it more often than not...they need to lock themselves in the film room and figure it out.

The WCO has just been gimmicky so far - completely true. I like the shifts and so forth because it shows they are trying to do something different and confuse the defense. But you have to be unique after the snap too.

Alex Smith has looked legitimately good over the years when you 1-give him time to throw and 2-open up the offense. Find a way to do that and they win the division. If not, Alex cannot handle the pressure and defenses have nothing to fear. His #1 and #2 WRs last week were Morgan and Ginn - far and away worst in the league, and Alex still completed a high percentage. I really wish they would just let him loose more often. Love that theyre getting him out of the pocket more often, we often forget how great of an athlete he is.

Vernon Davis HAS to touch the ball 5-7 times a game. Screens, hitches, reverses...anything. Id love to see him spread wide and run a go route once or twice a game. Hes the only guy on the offense that defenses legitimately have to fear, leaving him in to block takes that away. Also Kendal Hunter needs to be more involved. Theres nobody else on this roster that teams have difficulty staying in front of.

We knew their pass defense would be bad....they have ZERO speed. Im terrified of going to philly, jackson and maclin are going to have a track meet. That overtime play was embarrassing - why would both the safety and the corner even consider biting on the playaction? Do you not trust justin smith and patrick willis to make the play?

All in all, this is the best they have looked in years. Lapses in judgement have been the backbreaker more than lack of talent. The arrow is pointing up.

Blog Entries
    Alex Smith does one thing well: Red zone efficiency.

And the correct call, given what the 49ers were doing, was to burn clock. Get 1 more first down after the penalty, and the game is over.
    “Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by iwatt View Post
    Alex Smith does one thing well: Red zone efficiency.

And the correct call, given what the 49ers were doing, was to burn clock. Get 1 more first down after the penalty, and the game is over.
    Dead on. If the 49ers take the penalty. Run three times into the center's butt, then kick the FG they win. There's no OT. On a side note, Clem, I really like the 49ers Blog you linked a couple weeks back and am reading it every update. It's neat to get something so detailed for a team I don't follow much. Thanks for linking it!
    "False Start everyone but the center." Gene Steretore. Pats vs Jets. 12/24/16.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    On a side note, Clem, I really like the 49ers Blog you linked a couple weeks back and am reading it every update. It's neat to get something so detailed for a team I don't follow much. Thanks for linking it!
    That guy is starting to irritate me actually. He does my style of sarcastic vitriol only better. It's pissing me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    Dead on. If the 49ers take the penalty. Run three times into the center's butt, then kick the FG they win. There's no OT. On a side note, Clem, I really like the 49ers Blog you linked a couple weeks back and am reading it every update. It's neat to get something so detailed for a team I don't follow much. Thanks for linking it!
    not really....that Alex Smith red zone statistic is a bit of a falsehood. he doesnt magically become a good QB in the redzone - every coach/coordinator for 6 years has called plays the same way Harbaugh has been for 2 weeks. Safe as can be. He doesnt turn the ball over often, but he rarely throws TDs either.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dandrea View Post
    not really....that Alex Smith red zone statistic is a bit of a falsehood. he doesnt magically become a good QB in the redzone - every coach/coordinator for 6 years has called plays the same way Harbaugh has been for 2 weeks. Safe as can be. He doesnt turn the ball over often, but he rarely throws TDs either.
    His efficiency is due to Frank Gore and Vernon Davis. Big TEs in the end zone are a big help. But he doesn't screw up in the red zone, and that is at least a positive. I'm not saying Smith is even a mediocre quarterback, but you have to at least see the silver lining.
    “Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

i do see the silver lining: Kaepernick