Thread: Bill Parcells: Are The Dolphins Better or Worse??

Bill Parcells: Are The Dolphins Better or Worse??

This isn't an original idea, I stole it from the LeBatard show....

Are the Dolphins better or worse having had Parcells in their lives? In my mind, they are basically the same talent wise, which means they are worse, since it's been 4 years and they paid him and everyone he brought on board all that money.

Why is none of the blame for this laid at Parcell's feet? He came to do a job, failed miserably and (to his credit) bailed before the job was even finished when he saw it wasn't going anywhere. I know no one wants to hate one a "legend" but honestly...

If you recall, MIA and ATL were in a bit of a bidding war for the rights to have Parcells give their team the Queer Eye for the Straight Guy treatment...4 years later, ATL, while possibly overrated, is a team on the move and certainly not a laughing stock...The Dolphins are...well...the opposite of those things.

Has this damaged Parcell's reputation in your eyes? Should it?
    "I suggest a new strategy Artoo...Let the Wookie win..."

MIA is at the bottom of the division and don't have a QB they believe in. Tony Soprano is gonna get deep-sixed soon. Clearly, a good amount of the blame falls on Parcells, though I'm not sure how much it impacts his reputation long term. Plus, I think he's really done with football this time, so who cares?
    These are my principles and if you don't like them ... well ... I have others. ~ Groucho

Can we at least call him "The Sea Trout" from now on? Can we strip him of "Tuna" status?

Blog Entries
    There's just something about the Dolphins that is dull. I think they're trying to spice things up a bit, but not only are they losing, there's no pizazz. They've tried to spice things up with Marshall and Bush, but Bush is just an accessory best used on a good team, and other than Marshall, is there a more boring group of receivers than Bess, Hartline, Fasano, etc?

They probably had just a little too much faith in Chad Henne, but it's time to pull the plug. Daniel Thomas looks good, and building around the offensive line is always a good idea, but they need a QB that's good enough to allow Marshall to be dynamic, and while they brought in Bush to be that second dynamic piece, they should probably look in a different direction.

And defensively, they're ok, but they're Cameron Wake (PSU shoutout!) and Zzzzzzzzzz. Other than Marshall and Wake, where are the playmakers? In the NFL, you need playmakers, and the Dolphins have some solid pros, but lack game-changers.
    "So whose fault is it? It's all Trumpet's fault. Just because."

-Andy Freeland

regarding Bush...is it just me or could he be an amazing slot guy if he just gave up the running back gig? I don't know why he insists on being a RB. (This comment is backed up from extensive experimentation with Madden NFL 10-12 where Reggie will grade out anywhere from a 86-93 if you move him to receiver)

The problem with the Dolphins is they have no consistent strategy. What are they trying to build towards? They had a great rushing attack they let go with no replacement plan or strategy for the future in place. Also I think they have an owner who doesn't fully grasp the nuances of football necessary to run a team. Say what you want about al davis but at least has a consistent theory of what he wants from his team(speed). Sporano is a bad coach who really only knows one aspect of the game(line play). In summation the change needs to happen at the top if not the owner than the gm(who kept parcells players) and the coach.
    Last edited by trh5001; 09-27-2011 at 10:11 AM. Reason: droid 2 sucks

Blog Entries
    Yes, he'd have a chance to be the most dynamic 3rd receiver in the league. He was always best with the Saints when they put him in the slot, or let him motion out of the backfield to try and create a mismatch.

The problem is, he seems to be one of those "relies on talent" guys. How good is his route running? But if he mastered 4 or 5 typical slot patterns, he'd become more dynamic.

Problem is, teams are still looking at him as the number 2 overall pick. Even using him as a 3rd down back, and occasional rusher is getting the ball in his hands more than as just a slot guy. Even though the Dolphins didn't draft him, no one wants to admit that he's no more than a glorified Antwaan Randle-El in his prime. Least of all, Reggie Bush.
    "So whose fault is it? It's all Trumpet's fault. Just because."

-Andy Freeland

Blog Entries
    The Jets and the Dolphins are built on the same principles. mediocre QBs, good OL, great D. That's the basic Tuna model, but which only actually wins superbowls with a great performance by their QB in the end anyways.

The difference right now is in the front office and the coaching staff.

If you're going to use the above model, you need to have a great HC, a front office that makes smart moves and backs the coach 100%, and not take away the confidence of your mediocre QB. The Dolphins have:

- A mediocre HC
    - A front office that hasn't drafted in the first round for a QB since Dan Marino
    - And done everything their power to demoralize and take away Henne's confidence.
    - Shopped around for a new HC, failed at that, and then kept the old one in there.

The Dolphins D is pretty good, or at least was the last couple of years. Their OL used to be great, and might be back to that with Pouncey II. The head coach

What's the Tuna's responsibility in all this:

- He got old, and didn't realize that football has changed, and that the model isn't as effective as it used to be. It will win games when used appropriately, but you still need a QB to win, and a solid organization behind it.
    “Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

Quote Originally Posted by InNOutBurgler View Post
    Can we at least call him "The Sea Trout" from now on? Can we strip him of "Tuna" status?
    I was thinking more along the lines of "The Asian Carp".
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.