Thread: The Good, the Bad, and the 49ers - Week 4

The Good, the Bad, and the 49ers - Week 4

Yeah, yeah, I skipped week 3. Can you blame me? That snooze-fest against the Bengals left me so bored I couldn't be bothered to post.

Now this week, on the other hand, now this week is fun. A 20 point comeback in the second half against the dream team? Three sacks on the dog-killer? Knocking two key Eagles out of the game? Gimme gimme.

The Good
    The run defense: yep, they let Mike Vick get 75 yards but that is what Mike does (when he isn't strangling puppies). LeSean McCoy? 18 yards on 9 carries. He had nowhere to run and nowhere to hide. Navarro Bowman owned Shady.

The red zone defense: The 49ers gave up plenty between the 20's but stiffened in the red zone. In seven trips to the red zone the Eagles got 2 TDs, 2 FGs and a turnover.

Carlos Rogers: For the first time in 8 years the 49ers have a real cornerback.

The second half offense: The return of the forward pass! I thought it had been eradicated in San Francisco but there it was with over 200 yards in the second half.

Aldon Smith and Kendall Hunter: I did not like these picks at draft time. Man was I wrong.

The final, clock killing drive: Frank Gore, up the gut 5 times in a row when the Eagles knew it was coming for 26 yards and two first downs to seal the game. Dream about that.

The boos from Lincoln Field: let's be honest, it doesn't take much to get Philadelphians to boo. But damn wasn't it sweet to hear the boos rain down in the 4th quarter?

The Bad
    The first half offense: Egads. That was bad. The offensive line got penalty after penalty, Alex Smith couldn't hit the ocean with a pass and the one decent drive ended with a missed field goal. Three of five drives were 3 and out.

Alex Smith imitates Jim Everett: On the SF 28 Alex feels the rush before it gets to him, goes fetal and drops the ball without being touched. Philadelphia recovers at the SF 23 and scores two plays later.

Containing Mike Vick: 49ers ends kept losing contain on their pass rush and allowing Vick to escape outside.

and the 49ers
    Ronnie Brown: yeah, he's an Eagle but his bizarre fumble at the 1 yard line has to be included here.

The offensive line: the penalties, god the penalties. Do they take turns false starting?

Blocked FG: Dunlap ignored the protection and walked through to blocked an Akers' attempt. Aldon Smith's quick reaction and hustle probably saved a touchdown.

DeSean Jackson: strutting and taunting after a 19 yard reception in the 3rd quarter. Knocked out of the game 3 plays later. Poor form from a Cal Bear.

Irrational Exuberance: Before we get too high on the 49ers we need to recognize a few facts. The offense is in the bottom 10 of the league and the only reason they are 3-1 is the top 10 defense, special teams and a creampuff schedule. The opponents so far have a combined record of 6-10. Over the next four games the opponents currently have a combined 12-4 record. If the 49ers can reach mid-season with a 4-4 record we should count ourselves fortunate.

Those of you putting the 49ers in the Top 10 (you know who you are) will be hopping off the bandwagon quickly over the next few weeks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by msclemons View Post
    Those of you putting the 49ers in the Top 10 (you know who you are) will be hopping off the bandwagon quickly over the next few weeks.
    Tough defense is tough defense, Clem. And the Phillie Pass rush should cause most OLs to get jittery.

Football outsiders has an 89,1% probabaility of the 49ers making the playoffs.
    “Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

I'm guessing that 8-8 wins the division and the Niners already have 3 in the bank...that's good. They easily could be 4-0 at this point but they also easily could be 0-4. I'm giddy but it's a tempered giddyness. They should have lost this game and, in my mind, Philly lost that game more than the Niners won it.
    Things set up pretty nice for a win against the Bucs this weekend. TB flying across the country after a MNF game. Throw in a little payback for the game at the Stick last year....me likey. This will be a good measuring stick for the Niners. I hope they surprise me for the second week in a row because last years game vs. the Bucs was a men against boys pummeling.
    I loves me some Kendall Hunter. He and Dixon make for a nice "Thunder and Lightning" combo backfield of the future. Frank Gore is pure man.
    If the 49'ers success offends you...so be it.
    Namaste...*****es.

3-1 with a 2 game lead in the weakest division and 5 division games left, including 4 of their last 5. Their next 5 games will be a little rough but you have to like their odds of winning the division.

The 49ers should win the division no doubt. But winning the NFC West isn't exactly a triumph. Hopefully we won't have the embarrassment of a 7-9 division champ again.

I do like the way the offense is evolving under Harbaugh. I was pulling my hair out the first three weeks but it looks like the coach and players are getting in tune with the system.

Navarro Bowman grew up in a hurry. Last year he looked lost and awkward. This year he's almost overshadowing Willis. It felt like he single-handedly shut down the Eagles running game.

This team is absolutely stacked in their front 7. They have some studs on offense. Problem is, their impact players arent at the most valuable positions (QB, OT, 3-4 OLB). they are definitely weak in some areas, but strong enough in others to be above avg. Through his first 4 weeks, Harbaugh has outcoached everyone they played.