Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Football Pros All-Man Award-Week Five

Quote Originally Posted by packa7x View Post
    Exactly. Wasn't there a game a few years back where Jerome Bettis had 5 rushes 1 yards and 3 TDs? I'd take that over 100 yards and no TDs. That's the definition of dependable.
    Well, that doesn't make much sense. How do you know how many rushes the 100 yard rusher got near the goal line? Just because the team decided to pass more doesn't make the RB less dependable. Both RBs have something they can be depended upon.
    If you ask me how I want to be remembered, it is as a winner. You know what a winner is? A winner is somebody who has given his best effort, who has tried the hardest they possibly can, who has utilized every ounce of energy and strength within them to accomplish something. It doesn't mean that they accomplished it or failed, it means that they've given it their best. That's a winner.”
    ― Walter Payton

Ben was in a walking boot dude. I'm pretty sure it's not a walk in the park.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

Blog Entries
    Cutler may win an All-Man award before the year is through, but for this week, I just can't see the argument against Roethlisberger. Not saying it has to involve a winning player, but can we agree the Steelers O-Line is at the very least nearly as bad as the Bears trainwreck. I mean, one trainwreck may be slightly more catastrophic than another, but at the end of the day, they're both still trainwrecks. Add in the foot issue, not a normal sprain, but one at the top of the foot near the toes, and I think this choice is clear.

Both QBs are hated league-wide, and I'm glad to see Cutler being defended (rightly) by his fan base. But he doesn't win this argument.
    "I'd knock your brains out, then pick them up later."

-Marion Motley

I don't think anyone is discounting Roethlisberger's toughness. He manned up in a big way. But Cutler was running for his life on just about every snap. I have seen some defensive lines dominate the line of scrimmage. But the Lions took domination to a whole new level Monday night. And Jay Jay kept his cool and made some real nice, gutsy plays.

I'll stick with Cutler this week.
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Quote Originally Posted by Docta View Post
    Well, that doesn't make much sense. How do you know how many rushes the 100 yard rusher got near the goal line? Just because the team decided to pass more doesn't make the RB less dependable. Both RBs have something they can be depended upon.
    3 of your 5 rushes go for TDs. That's pretty solid. Obviously if the RB has 2 carries for 50 yards each that's pretty dependable too. Or 4 for 25 a clip. But generally a RB that has a 100 yard game has a bunch of 2, 3, and 4 yard gains. Take Chris Johnson for example. His stats, 23 rushes 101 yards for a 4.4 YPC vs the Browns, look impressive, but let's look deeper into them. 2 of his rushes went for 38 total yards. So without those 2, he's left with 21 rushes for 63 yards and a 3.00 YPC. That means that the other 21 times Johnson touched the ball, he couldn't even get a first down in 3 downs. I'll take the guy that scores in the clutch. Now if the guy with 100 yards scores a TD or two, that changes things. But gross yards mean less than points.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrGoHome View Post
    I don't think anyone is discounting Roethlisberger's toughness. He manned up in a big way. But Cutler was running for his life on just about every snap. I have seen some defensive lines dominate the line of scrimmage. But the Lions took domination to a whole new level Monday night. And Jay Jay kept his cool and made some real nice, gutsy plays.

I'll stick with Cutler this week.
    If that's the case, Rodgers had a better game under similar circumstances.

Cutler was sacked 3 times and the Lions got 6 QB hits on Cutler. Rodgers was sacked 4 times and ATL had 8 QB hits. Rodgers continually made plays evading guys and making throws at awkward angles.

One more vote for Cutler. He got his butt kicked all night and just kept firing. Ben had a great game, but let's be honest we've seen Ben throw strikes with 5 guys hanging off of him before. Maybe it's unfair to mark him down because it's expected of him and really, really not expected from Cutler, but that's what I'm doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Freeland View Post
    One more vote for Cutler. He got his butt kicked all night and just kept firing. Ben had a great game, but let's be honest we've seen Ben throw strikes with 5 guys hanging off of him before. Maybe it's unfair to mark him down because it's expected of him and really, really not expected from Cutler, but that's what I'm doing.
    I totally get your logic, Andy. I don't agree that it's fair, but at least you admit the possibility of it not being fair.

Blog Entries
    I'm going to be an iconoclast and break the Cutler-Roethlisberger paradigm, and give a team vote to the Oakland Raiders.

The stat line of this game is absolutely brutal--Campbell was 15/35 for less than 200 yards; McFadden averaged about three yards per carry; they were 3/15 on third down; outgained by Houston by almost 200 yards and held the ball for ten minute more--and they went on the road against a very decent Texans team the day after Al David died and beat them. I don't know if this counts or not, but I'm doing it.
    @kocsan

Quote Originally Posted by packa7x View Post
    If that's the case, Rodgers had a better game under similar circumstances.

Cutler was sacked 3 times and the Lions got 6 QB hits on Cutler. Rodgers was sacked 4 times and ATL had 8 QB hits. Rodgers continually made plays evading guys and making throws at awkward angles.
    Then vote for Rodgers, packa. Jeebus.
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.