Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harrison is hurt, how does the $50 million dollar man replace him?

Harrison is hurt, how does the $50 million dollar man replace him?

The "silverback" is out 4-6 weeks. Worilds is hurt, so timmons is being shifted to olb. How do the masses of FP think he will fare?

Here's my take: the kid is super athletic, one of the best cover lb's in the game, if that term still exists. He's strong and fast. I think he will give us a jolt, and force some sacks, and get some turnovers. Remember, his natural position is olb. There's no game film on his rush moves from the outside. He's going to catch some ot's sleeping with his speed. His rush technique is raw, ill acquisese to that, but his explosion and speed are top notch.

If Harrison misses 6 games, timmons may well hit the 10 sack goal he set for this year. Plus he's excellent at dropping and covering, which the olbs do frequently on this d. May help neutralize some of the underneath stuff to tes and rbs that has been killing us. Harrison hasn't been himself. This injury should afford him the opportunity to come back full strength. In the mean time, I'm confident timmons will play well. My issue is replacing timmons with foote. Significant step down in talent there. Here's hoping timmons plays well and woodley wakes up from his coma!
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Timmons should do okay filling in for Harrison but who is taking Timmons' place in the middle? With Hampton having a down year so far Timmons was keeping the inside somewhat secure...

Quote Originally Posted by msclemons View Post
    Timmons should do okay filling in for Harrison but who is taking Timmons' place in the middle? With Hampton having a down year so far Timmons was keeping the inside somewhat secure...
    Larry foote is, that was in the original post. I'm worried about that. Foote isn't half the player timmons is. The only saving grace for me is, smith who has been awful is hurt. He's out Sunday. Keisel is back, so he takes back his slot where ziggy hood played the past few weeks. Ziggy shifts to smiths spot where he played last year and the d was the best in franchise history against the run. Our run d is all about the line, which has sucked so far. Hopefully keisel and hood are as good as last year, and Hampton plays like he's always done..
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesteelnation1 View Post
    Larry foote is, that was in the original post.
    Doh! That's what happens when I read the site on my phone

Quote Originally Posted by msclemons View Post
    Doh! That's what happens when I read the site on my phone
    It's all good. I'll assume its on an I phone. It displayed perfectly on my Droid. Lol

It's all good. I'll assume its on an I phone. It displayed perfectly on my Droid. Lol
    Hah! It displayed fine, it's just so small that I miss details. Old eyes.

Blog Entries
    With Foote in instead of Timmons, Troy will have to reduce the gambling, right?
    “Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

Simmons (or was it Cousin Sal?) was going on the other week about teams that have traditionally been good or great that take a nosedive while people keep betting them up...

Not trying to be snarky here, but it's only week 4 and the Steelers are battling three brutal problems: the Offensive Line situation, Roethlisberger's injury (which could linger and affect the team) and now Harrison badly hurt.

These are bad omens, and the Steelers are a really tough team, but I could see this season not turning out well.
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

Blog Entries
    The only saving grace for me is, smith who has been awful is hurt. He's out Sunday. Keisel is back, so he takes back his slot where ziggy hood played the past few weeks. Ziggy shifts to smiths spot where he played last year and the d was the best in franchise history against the run. Our run d is all about the line, which has sucked so far. Hopefully keisel and hood are as good as last year, and Hampton plays like he's always done..
    Stop. Aaron Smith cannot be given the brunt of the criticism when Casey Hampton has been just as bad, if not even worse. This entire line was treated like rag dolls against the Texans last week, and the linebackers, when not being blocked out of the play, were constantly out of position or plain missing tackles. The entirety of this defense is to blame for poor performance.
    "Biggest blowout since Andy Reid vs. Skinny jeans" - Colts01

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KabaModernFan View Post
    Stop. Aaron Smith cannot be given the brunt of the criticism when Casey Hampton has been just as bad, if not even worse. This entire line was treated like rag dolls against the Texans last week, and the linebackers, when not being blocked out of the play, were constantly out of position or plain missing tackles. The entirety of this defense is to blame for poor performance.
    1 Turnover. That is the key stat, so you're right. And Casey Hampton has been equally horrible. We kind of saw this coming with Smith, because of all his injuries, but Hampton's terrible play has blind-sided us a bit.

The D-Line HAS to do a better job. The reason they've always been so good is because it's always taken an opponent's entire offensive line to block the 3 front linemen, allowing the Steeler LBs to be the Steeler LBs. The replacements are there on the ends, but without Hampton, I'm not sure they have the depth to account for his loss. And as has been already stated, it's not like he's been any good this year to begin with. Hampton is the key this season. If he suddenly becomes the Hampton of old, or at least an 80% facsimile, then Pittsburgh has a real chance to rebound. If not, the LBs will not be free to unleash their fury, and without that, the Steelers D becomes just another D.... Except for 2 players.

One is Polamalu. He hasn't been himself so far this season. He's shown glimpses, but he hasn't been his consistent impactful self. Lost in the loss to Houston, however, is that he seemed to wake up. Especially following the Foster TD, in which Polamalu was visibly upset with how they defended that play, he took the game over defensively, and Houston did nothing on their last couple of possessions. This would have been a bigger story had the Steelers come back, but they did not. It was the first time all year they showed any real signs of life (the Seattle game doesn't count).

The second is Timmons. The dirty little secret is that he's been their best all around LB since the start of last season, and easily their most underrated commodity. I'm very interested to see Timmons unleashed on the outside. His all-around ability moved to a disrupting spot like OLB may be the jolt this defense needs. It's not often you can replace a defensive MVP candidate with someone who may actually be even better.

No, Larry Foote is not any good, but he can be covered up on the inside, and they've always been good, at least in the LB corps at covering up the weak link. The defense may struggle again this week, but it won't be because of Larry Foote.
    "I'd knock your brains out, then pick them up later."

-Marion Motley