Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AL Davis has passed away

AL Davis has passed away

Wow, Raiders.com is confirming Davis passed away this morning. I knew he was in poor health, but it's still a shock. Two visionaries in two very different arenas have died this week.

I was just getting ready to post this, but now I see two up. What a truly surreal moment. He is one of the truly more iconic owners in football, playing in integral role in the hiring of black coaches and promoting women to top level positions.

The NFL's favorite bad guy, his character and passion will certainly be missed.

RIP, Mr. Davis.

Blog Entries
    As much as it was easy to make fun of him in the last few years, the actual contributions to football that Mr. Davis had truly shaped the way we see the NFL today; and football in general.
    The podcast: www.polishguypodcast.blogspot.com

It's a podcast done by a ninja who is Polish!

"I don't believe in a lot of things, but I believe in duct tape."-Miles on "Lost."

twitter: @PguyPodcast

Blog Entries
    So Sorry to hear of his passing. The Raiders were one of the first teams I cheered for and became a fan of 10 seasons ago in 2002. The were fascinating to me and I loved their history. He's one of the modern day forefathers of the League by way of his contributions to the AFL.

I respect his history and Legacy and I'm still glad to be a Raiders fan with it's Super Bowl wins and appearances and Hall of Fame players and coach.
    "This Game is Not For the Faint of Heart" --Bill Parcells

Facebook.com/BuckeyeRidley

Blog Entries
    What happens now???

Quote Originally Posted by darvon View Post
    What happens now???
    The report is his son Mark will take over as managing partner. But, you have to wonder what the tax implications are. The children of Georgia Frontiere had to sell their share of the Rams to Stan Kroenke because they could not afford to pay the taxes involved with inheriting the the team.

Blog Entries
    What happens now???
    I think there's a person who will be appointed to take over as it appears to be a family affair or possible pre-determined. I think the team will still play. Their last tweet 14 hours ago from this writing says that they are in Houston. At this time, the Raiders play the Texans tomorrow afternoon. But it is still very early.
    "This Game is Not For the Faint of Heart" --Bill Parcells

Facebook.com/BuckeyeRidley

Quote Originally Posted by red13 View Post
    The report is his son Mark will take over as managing partner. But, you have to wonder what the tax implications are. The children of Georgia Frontiere had to sell their share of the Rams to Stan Kroenke because they could not afford to pay the taxes involved with inheriting the the team.
    Thanks. The first question that popped into my mind was "who owns the Raiders?"

I guess that is still to be determined.

Blog Entries
    I believe that several people owned the Raiders. I am not even sure Al owned 51%. But Al drove the bus. I have heard that many of the owners disagreed with Al on many things.

We will see. Does this make them MORE likely or LESS to go to LA?

I believe that several people owned the Raiders. I am not even sure Al owned 51%. But Al drove the bus. I have heard that many of the owners disagreed with Al on many things.

We will see. Does this make them MORE likely or LESS to go to LA?
    Interesting question. I'd say less likely, because any kind of ownership issues will induce paralysis and favor the status quo.