Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Jay Cutler, Mike Martz, and Lovie Smith: Must see TV

Blog Entries
    Yeah, but when I post my predicitons for the NFC and AFC Norths in a little bit (shameless plug), when you think about it, yeah, it's not pretty, but I don't feel as bad THIS year as I did last year going into the season with Hester, Aromashadu, and Knox with Olsen hopefully getting more touches...lot of speed and size, and also opens the field for catches by Olsen, Forte, and Taylor...and hopefully Martz didn't leave his bag of tricks at O'Hare or Midway

Blog Entries
    I liked Hester as a returner and a part-time receiver. As much as I love my Bears and I enjoy the fact that they finally broke the bank a little bit, reality says that what happened this off-season is a lot of smoke and mirrors. For the first time that I can remember in a long time, the offensive talent itself is not something I am worried about. I am worried about the offensive line. Frank Omiyale was constantly trailing behind on pull plays and it is a shame we spent so much money on that guy. Sure, it is not Mr. Omiyale's fault that he played out of position, but when a guy can't break into the lineup with the best running team in football in Carolina, maybe you should not pay him $20MM to be a run blocker.

So, my concern is the offensive line. The biggest coach hire was not Mike Martz, it was Mike Tice. If Tice can get these guys to actually play together, the season will look bright. If not, expect more of the same. Expect the same 7 yard slant to be run by Green Bay for a first down on third & long, expect personnel decisions to confuse (Get rid of Super Bowl Starter Chris Harris and then trade for him again a couple years later, to name one), expect the run into the line and fall over for a 2 yarder play which used to be a 0 yarder with Benson. I know that a couple of those points are completely unrelated, but certain things have seemed to stay the same under Smith and Angelo.

Hester should be a returner and a slot threat. I like the talent we have at receiver for once and I really like the idea of Aromashodu at #1 with his size, Bennett at #2 for possession and having Hester and Olsen both threaten the seams down the middle of the field. Knox would be a large part of the mix as well.

The NFL is the hardest league to predict and it certainly looks like the Bears COULD be good, but the questions that remain with the secondary coverage skills and the offensive line plants them firmly in the #3 spot of the NFC North.
    Last edited by Polishguy00; 07-06-2010 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Bad grammar
    The podcast: www.polishguypodcast.blogspot.com

It's a podcast done by a ninja who is Polish!

"I don't believe in a lot of things, but I believe in duct tape."-Miles on "Lost."

twitter: @PguyPodcast

3. The Bears OL was not good last year. Orlando Pace was just not able to play up to his standards. If Matt Forte averages 3.5 yards per carry again they cannot make the playoffs no matter how well Martz and Cutler do together. Can Mike Martz get a running game going? That takes devotion to it in practice and with play calling. That will be the test for this franchise.

Is anybody in the league living off a reputation that hasn't been improved in a decade like Mike Martz? Could it be that the "Greatest Show on Turf" was a lot more about Kurt Warner and his abilities than it was about Mike Martz? Like you said, he didn't light it up in Detroit or San Francisco. I think Cutler gives him a good QB weapon to work with, but with a crumbling offensive line and a weak receiving corps, Cutler may challenge for the NFL single season interception record this season or just get killed.

Forte and Chester Taylor are both good pass catchers out of the backfield, but that can only get you so far.

I'll be interested to see what Julius Peppers brings to the defense now that he's gotten paid. He may end up fat and happy...

I think the Bears do have a punchers' chance in this division, but more likely than not both Lovie and Martz will be on the unemployment line come January.

After seeing Cutler have a big game against the Vikes in the cold of late December, I'm sold on Cutler's physical ability to throw successfully in any condition. He made some of his worst mental mistakes in optimal weather environments earlier in the season. Hopefully an improved running game and defense will mean not throwing as much this year, but the weather conditions probably won't limit the Bears playcalling that much.

That said, Collinsworth is exactly right that the running game will need vast improvement for the Bears to contend. The left side of the line was a disaster last year with Orlando Pace at tackle and an out-of-position Omaliye at guard. The line looked better (but not great) when Chris Williams moved over to his natural left tackle position and Omaliye was pulled. Long-time team leader Olin Kreutz at center battled injuries all year and will need to prove that he can still play at a high level. Miscues and injuries amounted to a number of disastrous outings by the line last year that gave the team little chance of winning, particularly when combined with the interceptions from a pressing Cutler and a wildly inconsistent defense.

The Bears are pinning a lot of hopes on Mike Tice to find the best combination of players on the line and get them performing at a high level. Related to the line play, a key position to watch is tight end: the Bears signed Brandon Manumaleuna from San Diego to give Martz and Tice a solid blocking TE. What does this mean for solid-but-aging veteran TE Desmond Clark? And for receiving TE Greg Olsen? The Bears also have a promising third-year TE in Kellen Davis that they may have to cut. The apportionment of snaps at TE will be fascinating to watch.

There are two things that Martz has in Chicago that he's never had or fully utilized elsewhere: a potentially elite pass-catching TE in Olsen and a mobile QB in Cutler. How he uses (or doesn't use) the skills of each player are just two of the many questions the Bears will have to answer this year.

The biggest problem I have with Jay Cutler is the fact that he is not a leader. You can tell by his actions on the field when something bad happens. His posture is all wrong (head down) and he goes to the bench and sits by himself. Leadership takes on my forms and actions and Cutler has none of them. Whether he has the ability needed to be an NFL QB, I am not sure, but his lack of leadership skills is what is going to prevent him from being a winning QB.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaguy View Post
    The biggest problem I have with Jay Cutler is the fact that he is not a leader. You can tell by his actions on the field when something bad happens. His posture is all wrong (head down) and he goes to the bench and sits by himself. Leadership takes on my forms and actions and Cutler has none of them. Whether he has the ability needed to be an NFL QB, I am not sure, but his lack of leadership skills is what is going to prevent him from being a winning QB.
    I don't think Cutler will ever be the greatest leader, but I don't think he has to be to win, either. Have you seen Peyton Manning's body language in reaction to interceptions, sacks, etc? He even threw his O-line under the bus a few years back, something Cutler refused to do last year. Manning's abilities on the field overcome his quirky personality. Hopefully the same can be true of Cutler, although there is no comparing him to Manning at this point.

Do I wish his personality and body language was a bit different? Sure, but I'd rather have Cutler than the revolving door of mediocrity that has defined the Bears at QB for decades.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BearThruThickNThin View Post
    I don't think Cutler will ever be the greatest leader, but I don't think he has to be to win, either. Have you seen Peyton Manning's body language in reaction to interceptions, sacks, etc? He even threw his O-line under the bus a few years back, something Cutler refused to do last year. Manning's abilities on the field overcome his quirky personality. Hopefully the same can be true of Cutler, although there is no comparing him to Manning at this point.

Do I wish his personality and body language was a bit different? Sure, but I'd rather have Cutler than the revolving door of mediocrity that has defined the Bears at QB for decades.

2010 Chicago Bears: NFC North Champions

9. Yeah Danny, agreed on the leadership issue. I can't help but think of the state of the Bears in a position by position comparison against last year, and the same of the Vikes and Packers and the Lions as well. Detroit and Chicago have improved themselves far more than the Pack and Vikes. I don't expect Favre to improve on last years results, and in fact, don't think he will get close. Rodgers has a chance to improve his numbers but it won't be significant if at all. The Lions draft and trades have been enormous and with Stafford having a year of real experience under his belt, they will improve by leaps anbd bounds even if their record doesn't. The Bears by far have the best upset value because they addressed the single biggest liability of last year. The removal of Ron Turner was a victory even if they play the upcoming season without an OC!!! I think the addition of Mike Tice and Mike Martz, and making Marinelli the DC is going to pay huge dividends, and Having Peppers, Urlacher, and Chris Harris will be a huge difference from the past season. Offensively, Cutler will show far more under Martz, the O-line won't play any worse than they did and Tice will make them serviceable. Finally that group of young receivers is deep and VERY talented. Cris, would you rank the receivers in order? I would think from a talent level it would be Knox - best speed threat, Aromashodu - biggest body, Bennett - best hands, Hester - gets DB attention, Iglesias - unproven but high potential, and Davis - needs more balls thrown his way to tell. I haven't seen Freddie Barnes, Eric Peterman and Vic Hall as Bears yet.
    Last edited by BearFang; 07-06-2010 at 02:46 PM.

Blog Entries
    I could care less about the gestures and the reactions that Cutler has on the field. I actually liked when he got into a refs face last year, there were some egregious calls in that game. I saw every game and the only real red flag I see with Cutler is the Red Zone interceptions. Those need to stop. Fast. He has to know that it is okay to pull the ball down and it is okay to settle for the field goal. I disagree with Jaws that Cutler was at fault on such a large number of his picks, but the Red Zone ones were all his fault. The word of the locker room is that Cutler has been great as a teammate from everything I have read and heard. Also, a friend happened to be at an event where a Bears player showed and that guy made it very obvious that the whole team knew how bad the line was. That player told some good stories and none of them were about Jay Cutler.

Hey, at least we are trying to get good at quarterback after roughly 25 years of crap. Even Jimmy Mac was only really good for a year and a half. No more Jonathan Quinn Medicine Woman. No more Chad Hutchinson (I really want to know if it is true that he was surfing when we called him). No more Craig Krenzel, although he has the unique destinction of beating Ken Dorsey in his last NCAA start and his first NFL start. No more Kordell. No more Jim Miller playing with a busted throwing arm, although brave, it probably was not a good thing for completing passes. No more Chris Chandler getting injured signing his contract. At this point, I'll take disappointing talent just so I can use the word talent.

We also seem to slowly upgrading at OC. John Shoop, master of the WR screen, also known as the worst play in the NFL since the NFL does not have the matchup issues with speed the NCAA does, is gone. Ron Turner, average in every way, gone. Any truth that the McCaskeys kept the turf from the 80s in storage and are bringing it out for Martz's offense? Hey, I'm happy as long as he keeps the one play that worked for Turner; the play-action to the tight end on 1st down from inside the five. We ran it every time and it still worked some.

At least we should be interesting this year.
    The podcast: www.polishguypodcast.blogspot.com

It's a podcast done by a ninja who is Polish!

"I don't believe in a lot of things, but I believe in duct tape."-Miles on "Lost."

twitter: @PguyPodcast