Thread: The Good, the Bad, and the 49ers - Week 5

The Good, the Bad, and the 49ers - Week 5

48-3.

I'm still letting that sink in. I haven't seen the 49ers look this dominant in over 10 years. The 49ers haven't had this big a win since they beat the Rams 48-0 in 1987. That's 24 years folks. The Buccaneers haven't had this bad a loss... ever. Not even in the creamsicle, 0-14 days.

48-3.

I think I'll just keep chanting this like a mantra. Omni padme 48-3 ohm... omni padme 48-3 ohm... Oh yeah, I'm getting my Zen on.

The Good...
    • Alex Smith - I've bashed this guy for 6 years now. My liver exploded when they re-signed him. Gotta give the kid credit when he doesn't suck. He hasn't thrown for a ton of yards but he is the 3rd ranked QB in the league right now.
    • Frank Gore - Gore got his mojo back in this game. Over the first 4 games it looked like Frank had lost a step. Against the Bucs he exploded for 125 yards on 6.3 YPC with a touchdown.
    • Tight Ends - Vernon and Delanie each had a touchdown receiving and blocked well for the run
    • Offensive Line - Excellent pass protection and bruising run blocking. No sacks and 213 rushing yards is the definition of an A game by an offensive line.
    • Andy Snyder - Replaced Chilo Rachel at right guard and looked like the best man on the line.
    • Defensive front seven - In Freeman's face the entire game. Three sacks. Held Blount to 34 yards rushing.
    • Defensive Backs - Two interceptions, one returned for a touchdown. I am quickly developing a man-crush on Carlos Rogers. The 49ers haven't had a real cornerback in 10 years.
    • Coaching - Greg Roman's playcalling kept the Bucs defense on their heels. Fangio's defense gave up some yards between the 20's but absolutely shut down the red zone.
    • Colin Kaepernick - After his abysmal showing in pre-season it was nice to see him show some ability.

The Bad
    I'm going to have to nit-pick here...

Frank Gore's fumble - when I saw this play I had horrible flashbacks to last year. Frank ran into the guard's ass, dropped the ball and fell down. It was the Revenge of Singletary. Luckily the defense stuffed the Bucs so it didn't matter in the long run.

and the 49ers

Losing Morgan in garbage time was horrible. There was no reason to call that play on 4th down up 41-3. Just bring in Akers and kick the FG. Running up the score like that not only cost the 49ers their best receiver for the rest of the year but will come back to bite them if they face the Bucs in the playoffs.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by msclemons View Post
    Losing Morgan in garbage time was horrible. There was no reason to call that play on 4th down up 41-3. Just bring in Akers and kick the FG. Running up the score like that not only cost the 49ers their best receiver for the rest of the year but will come back to bite them if they face the Bucs in the playoffs.
    The Karma gods are fickle. Who knows, maybe they're setting you up to start 4-1 and then go 0-11.
    “Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

Interestingly, the 49ers play the NFC's other surprise teams 2 of their next 3 games. At Detroit this week, at Washington in week 9. Those games shouldn't effect the NFC West race but could give us an idea of which of these 3 will be making noise in the post-season. The niners remaining non-division games aren't pretty, aside from Lions and Redskins they also have the Giants, Steelers and Ravens with their only 'break' being the 2-2 Browns at home. But they have 4 wins with 5 division games left, if they take care of business within the division and steal another win or two (Browns and Giants at home) they should get to 8-10 wins, which should be more than enough to take the west.

I'm OK with the Morgan play. Yea...it was a little low rent but I took it as Harbaugh looking to see what Colin has inside. Yea...Akers for 3 would have been the more prudent call. Losing Morgan is a major bummer. Hindsight. Super unfortunate hindsight.

IMO, the Niners are not this good. This game was an anomaly. Albeit, a really pleasant to watch anomaly. I am guardedly giddy. I really cannot remember the last time the Niners looked this good. It at least stretches back to the late Steve Young era. Not that I am in any way comparing Alex Smith to Steve Young.

Everyone is ready to crown Harbaugh as the coach of the year...but...it was just 2 weeks ago that they looked totally inept in Cincy for most of the game and the first half against the Iggles was abysmal. Granted...they won both of those games...so at least he's got that going for him. I dunno. I still need more convincing.

This week at Detroit will be a nice test. I hope Alex brings his sprinting shoes because their defensive front is going to be looking for blood. Althought the Niners O-line looked good against the Bucs...well...I wouldn't exactly call their performance for the year as a whole "rock solid." I hope they prove me wrong. Rest in peace Bob McKittrick. We miss you.

8 victories to take the division with 4 in the bank. Good times.
    If the 49'ers success offends you...so be it.
    Namaste...*****es.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoser View Post
    I am guardedly giddy.
    This is perfect.

An interesting note on Alex Smith: since the second half of the "We Want Carr" game last year Alex has been a top 10 quarterback in nearly all metrics except volume stats. Maybe we should have booed his ass four years ago. That game was against the Eagles.

This year Alex was efficient but very limited until he pulled his Jim Everett move in week 4. In the 6 quarters since then he has a been a top 3 QB. That game was also against the Eagles.

Apparently being humiliated by the Eagles brings out the best in Smith.
    Last edited by msclemons; 10-14-2011 at 01:25 AM.

Friday morning QB says that going for it on 4th down was a HORRIBLE choice. Not only did they lose one of their best WR's but they also were essentially running up the score in a game that they had in the bag against an opponent that has a very real chance of returning in January. Just send in Akers for 3 and be done with it. Horrible decision by Harbaugh. Horrible.
    Namaste...*****es.

Blog Entries
    Friday morning QB says that going for it on 4th down was a HORRIBLE choice. Not only did they lose one of their best WR's but they also were essentially running up the score in a game that they had in the bag against an opponent that has a very real chance of returning in January. Just send in Akers for 3 and be done with it. Horrible decision by Harbaugh. Horrible.
    I think he was trying for a statement game. He sees how doubtful everybody is. Also, you want to know if your team can pick up a 4th down, and it's good to know that before you have to call it up. A FG was less meaningful than knowing what you have. Injuries can happen at any time.
    “Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

You're right...44-3 isn't anywhere NEAR as impressive as 48-3. Mea culpa.
    Namaste...*****es.

Blog Entries
    You're right...44-3 isn't anywhere NEAR as impressive as 48-3. Mea culpa.
    :lol
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte