Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Suck for Luck Sweepstakes according to Tony Dungy

Suck for Luck Sweepstakes according to Tony Dungy

Tony put his stake in the ground, and said if the colts have the top pick they should trade manning. Banking on the future more than the present. I agree.

Luck is the best qb candidate to come out since pm did. This colts team sucks, and barely got to 10-6 last year with pm. With pm at less than his 100%, they won't make the playoffs. Why waste that money to not win a superbowl? This team can't possibly in the near future. Take the lock pick and get what you can for pm. If palmer got a 1 and a 2, pm should get 2 1's and some other top 100 picks.. no deep runs in the playoffs with caldwell calling the shots, that's for Damn sure. Fire caldwell and use your two biggest chips, 1st overall pick and all world too old and hurt qb that will garner too much attention to build the team 3 years from now.

Pm is great, but the extent of his injury has been downplayed so far. No news. That's a red flag to me. It's more serious than anyone wants to say...
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Let's not overlook the Dolphins and the Rams...

By the way - as I have only seen Bradford play once, could someone tell me if he really is good? The numbers would tend to say otherwise. Not insinuating that the Rams would take Luck, but that #1 pick is going to be a gold mine.
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

Let's also not forget that a pro franchise let up 62 points.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

Quote Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
    Let's not overlook the Dolphins and the Rams...

By the way - as I have only seen Bradford play once, could someone tell me if he really is good? The numbers would tend to say otherwise. Not insinuating that the Rams would take Luck, but that #1 pick is going to be a gold mine.
    bradford is playing better than his numbers. Still, that's not exactly great. His WRs/TEs have dropped a few key balls.

I'm sure teams would love PM, but I'm not sure where he'd work. Let's start with what teams need QBs

Denver
    Miami
    Indy
    Washington
    Seattle
    Cleveland

Now let's say Indy takes Luck. Miami is the only team that desperately needs a QB there. There are plenty of young guys available, and probably any coach that's there besides Cowher would want a young guy they can groom.

I brought up a similar scenario Sunday in the Chat. If the Rams end up with the #1 overall pick, which IMO I think they will, I think they should trade Sam Bradford. Reasoning being:

1) Andrew Luck is the better prospect.

2) Andrew Luck's contract would be less than half of what Bradford is making. That freed up cap money can be used in free agency.

3) You can get a #1 pick for Bradford, and would have two top 10 picks in the 2012 draft which can drastically improve your team.

4) The Rams offense isn't exactly lighting things up (not all bradfords fault), so how much are you really losing to start over? Its a bad offense and there's not a lot of "chemistry" that would be lost.

Some cited that the fans would get pissed if you traded away your franchise QB. Not if you get Andrew Luck and another top 10 pick. Same deal with those who asked what it would do to the locker room. The locker room would get over it if the deal makes the team better in the long run.

My two cents at least.
    Last edited by Bengals1181; 10-25-2011 at 09:26 AM.

Blog Entries
    Wasnh't Ryan Leaf almsot as surefire a thing as Peyton Manning back in the day?

Hopefully Luck will be as good as advertised, but there is only one sure thing in the NFL: Don't kick to Hester

There is one thing nobody has brought up. Maybe PM retires and takes over as HC for the Colts, simultaneously lowering their CAP significantly, having a mentor for Luck and keeping PM as part of the franchise.

Also, they get rid of the Caldwell.bot, whose software has clearly malfunctioned by now.
    “Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

I don't see anyone getting mad over trading Bradford. He's not bad, but at least the Rams are trying something. They've gone 0-6 for the 3rd time in 5 years. They've only gone 0-6 4 times in their history. I think the problem is higher up, but a greatQB will do wonders for any team.

Quote Originally Posted by iwatt View Post
    Wasnh't Ryan Leaf almsot as surefire a thing as Peyton Manning back in the day?
    As I recall, Peyton Manning was hyped in his junior year as much as Luck was. Manning had a great senior year and was a consensus #1...

Until towards the end of the season when Washington State started winning games. Leaf had a great Rose Bowl and suddenly "experts" started hyping him and jacking up his stock. In my life, this was the first case of the tidal wave that is contrarian opinion that we see all the time now. Too many experts trying to put their stamp on things.

Just looked it up - Manning went #1, Leaf #2 and the next QBs chosen were Charlie Batch at the end of the 2nd, followed by the immortal Jonathan Quinn and Brian Griese at the end of the 3rd. So maybe the fact that there weren't that many good QBs skewed things.
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
    Until towards the end of the season when Washington State started winning games. Leaf had a great Rose Bowl and suddenly "experts" started hyping him and jacking up his stock. In my life, this was the first case of the tidal wave that is contrarian opinion that we see all the time now. Too many experts trying to put their stamp on things.
    Ah, the Vince Young effect!
    “Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte