Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade Pennington ?

Trade Pennington ?

The whispers in Miami are starting to get a little louder about the Dolphins possibly trading Chad Pennington before the start of the season. At what price would you be willing to give up possibly the best backup QB for 2010, a 2nd, a 3rd round pick? If the NFL has shown us anything it is the value of #2 QB that your team has faith in, if it's me I'm keeping Pennington as an insurance policy on Henne getting hurt or not being able to handle the #1 job.

I can't see letting Pennington go for less than a #2 at this point. Depending on training camps some teams could be pretty desperate for a QB. If the Dplhins are going to settle for a #3 or #4 why not wait until after the season and have the security of a proven backup during the season.

if I ran the Bengals I'd give you a 5th rounder easy tomorrow. Would give you more if he weren't 34.

No team is going to give a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him. That's a pipe dream.

4. When I hear that Miami is thinking about trading Pennington my first thought is that Chad isn't completely healthy. Pat White hasn't exactly been wowing the coaching staff. Miami has 2 late season games at in climate weather stadiums (NE, Jets) and they might not think that Pennington would be an effective QB if he had to play in those stadiums. Miami will push the ball down the field more this year with the acquisition of Marshall, that's not Chad's strength. I would think that Miami has a plan to get another QB if they trade Chad. My guess is that they won't get anything more than a 4th round pick if they trade for a draft choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    if I ran the Bengals I'd give you a 5th rounder easy tomorrow. Would give you more if he weren't 34.

Pennington is 34? Dangit, I'm really getting old.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post

After the Hall Of Fame game you better up that to a #4.

His value to the team is greater than his trade value. But thats through my eyes. If we could get (pipe dream) a 2nd or maybe a 3rd for him I'd have to really consider it. I don't see that as a likely possibility. I would keep him and cut freakin' Pat White.
    Buckle Dem Chinstraps Primadonnas!

Quote Originally Posted by DM138385 View Post
    After the Hall Of Fame game you better up that to a #4.

ha, tempting.

I'll reserve judgment for the preseason when White and Thigpen look to get a lot of work, but right now I'm thinking cut or reassign white to receiver...Trading Pennington I would only do if I could get a #2 for him, which won't happen. Pennington only works for some teams as well, he could not be an effective QB for teams like Oakland or Cincy with their vertical passing games. He's a good fit for Miami and I still have a lot of concerns about Henne...I'd prefer if he just decided to be Steve DeBerg 2.0 and hung around for 6 years as a professional, dependable backup who can win you a few games in a pinch or at least not lose them.
    "I suggest a new strategy Artoo...Let the Wookie win..."

Quote Originally Posted by Tinindian View Post
    His value to the team is greater than his trade value. But thats through my eyes. If we could get (pipe dream) a 2nd or maybe a 3rd for him I'd have to really consider it. I don't see that as a likely possibility. I would keep him and cut freakin' Pat White.

I absolutely agree. A veteran willing to coach up a younger QB and quietly accept his reserve role is rare. I also highly doubt any team would give up more than a 4th rounder for Pennington coming off a season ending injury.