Thread: Rex Ryan upping the ante with Revis?

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Rex Ryan upping the ante with Revis?

I read an article on ESPN.com that says Rex Ryan wants to have a sit-down with Darrelle Revis and the entire Jets organization to work out his contract. He says the plan works like this:

"Everybody put their cards on the table. Have Darrelle come here with anybody he wants. We'll have Mr. Johnson here ... We'll call off practice. We'll have our whole team there to meet. That way, there's no he-said, she-said. Let's work it that way. Maybe that's how we'll get a solution. Everybody wants a solution. Let's figure out a way to do it. Maybe this is the way."

Is Ryan really serious about this plan, or is he playing hardball in the hopes that Revis chickens out and kowtows to the Jets? By challenging him to negotiate in front of the whole team, it sounds to me like he wants to expose Revis as selfish and greedy. Personally, I feel like Revis does deserve a new deal, but I don't think he's worth whatever he and his agent are asking. I have to give Rex Ryan credit for this plan. It might just be what the team needs to get their star CB back on the field.

If you want to read the whole article, here's the link -- http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/n...ory?id=5455164

Quote Originally Posted by NickMykita View Post
    I read an article on ESPN.com that says Rex Ryan wants to have a sit-down with Darrelle Revis and the entire Jets organization to work out his contract. He says the plan works like this:

"Everybody put their cards on the table. Have Darrelle come here with anybody he wants. We'll have Mr. Johnson here ... We'll call off practice. We'll have our whole team there to meet. That way, there's no he-said, she-said. Let's work it that way. Maybe that's how we'll get a solution. Everybody wants a solution. Let's figure out a way to do it. Maybe this is the way."

Is Ryan really serious about this plan, or is he playing hardball in the hopes that Revis chickens out and kowtows to the Jets? By challenging him to negotiate in front of the whole team, it sounds to me like he wants to expose Revis as selfish and greedy. Personally, I feel like Revis does deserve a new deal, but I don't think he's worth whatever he and his agent are asking. I have to give Rex Ryan credit for this plan. It might just be what the team needs to get their star CB back on the field.

If you want to read the whole article, here's the link -- http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/n...ory?id=5455164
    Isn't Ryan overstepping his bounds by attempting to negotiate with a player? Last I recall he was the HC. Tannenbaum was the GM and Cohen was his assistant.
    --
    buzmeg
    (aka bobC)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by buzmeg View Post
    Isn't Ryan overstepping his bounds by attempting to negotiate with a player? Last I recall he was the HC. Tannenbaum was the GM and Cohen was his assistant.
    Good question. Maybe he is overstepping. That's why I find this intriguing. I can understand where he's coming from, though, even if he's going too far. As a coach, he wants his players on the field practicing. He knows that this team has Super Bowl aspirations, and Revis is key to making that a reality. Honestly, I'm glad he's taking such an active role instead of downplaying it and just saying, "We're going to let the negotiation process run its course."

Oh Rex, this is going to end in tears.