Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: When does Forte get paid?

When does Forte get paid?

The guy deserves to be paid. What are the Bears doing? If they're waiting to pay him, why? I think he walks after the year.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

Blog Entries
    Come to Detroit.

We will pay GLADLY pay you.

Quote Originally Posted by darvon View Post
    Come to Detroit.

We will pay GLADLY pay you.
    Straight up trade. Jahvid Bust and a fourth rounder for Forte.

To answer the OP - Odds are the Bears slap Forte with the franchise tag next year. If he has another good season, they could do the same in 2013. In this scenario, he gets paid but has no ability to anticipate his future other than to go hard and get his. It's a crap way to do business from a player loyalty standpoint. But given the CJ1.8YPC debacle in Tennessee, how else does any RB expect teams to act? Sure the holdout is having its effect on Johnson. But is there a guarantee that he'd be lighting it up if he had not held out?
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Agree GoBig, That's just the smartest way to do business even if he is your teams best player. With the way running backs burn out in the league and how easily they are to replace. It just doesn't make sense for any team to pony up a long term contract to these guys. It never works out. The players realize this that's why they are demanding new deals earlier and earlier. They know how short their window is. So with the franchise tag they can make top dollar for a couple years and then hope for one last incentive laden contract before the ride off into the sunset to the 30 year old running back retirement home. If I'm running a team there is no way I ever go long term on a running back.
    Your soldiers are nothing, Matrix and I could kill every one of them, at the blink of an eye - you remember that. - Bennett

Blog Entries
    Our team is cheap. I'm pretty sure in 2 years time we're going to loose him to a division rival.

Now, the business decision of not paying top end guaranteed money to the RB makes business sense. It does stick a little in the craw, given the long tradition of great RBs the team has had. I'm not sure what Papa Bear would have done.
    “Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

6. As a Bears fan I actually hope he holds out next year if they slap him with the franchise tag. The Bears front office needs to be brought back to reality before it severely infects the organisation. Everyone quotes the CJ example, but others like Gore & Peterson have continued to produce after getting new paper. We obviously can't be sure exactly what was offered or requested in negotiations, but reports are that it was $14m guaranteed, which from Forte POV must of been almost insulting. Given the contracts that were about at the time (Charles & Carolina overpaying Williams) I thought $18m would have been a fair agreement. But because of the Bears lowballing & Forte's subsequent season, his fair price just went up to $21m and may continue to rise.

In the meantime the Bears reputation continues to be shredded, we become a less and less desirable destination for future free agents and the locker room will become more and more disgruntled.

A 2012 holdout wouldn't be seen as an ego trip like Johnson's, but a stand against an unfair organisation!

I don't think they should pay him now, but they should definitely give him what he deserves at least until we're out of the playoffs. He's running for a new contract right now, and it's good that he has some motivation.
    If you ask me how I want to be remembered, it is as a winner. You know what a winner is? A winner is somebody who has given his best effort, who has tried the hardest they possibly can, who has utilized every ounce of energy and strength within them to accomplish something. It doesn't mean that they accomplished it or failed, it means that they've given it their best. That's a winner.”
    ― Walter Payton

Quote Originally Posted by Afrocomb View Post
    Everyone quotes the CJ example, but others like Gore & Peterson have continued to produce after getting new paper.
    The CJ example is what everyone talks about but the road is littered with Rudi and Larry Johnsons, Shaun Alexander, Edgerrin James, Jamal Anderson, Marion Barber, Stephen Davis. It's risky at best to sign one of these guys long term.
    Your soldiers are nothing, Matrix and I could kill every one of them, at the blink of an eye - you remember that. - Bennett

I feel like a holdout is coming if he gets tagged. The guy is frustrated. I understand that guys play poorly after they get paid, but that's not always the case. Rodgers got paid and now he's playing top 3 at his position. Tons of guys do it. You just hear about the bad ones because that gets hits on ESPN.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

Quote Originally Posted by packa7x View Post
    I feel like a holdout is coming if he gets tagged. The guy is frustrated. I understand that guys play poorly after they get paid, but that's not always the case. Rodgers got paid and now he's playing top 3 at his position. Tons of guys do it. You just hear about the bad ones because that gets hits on ESPN.
    While there is merit to this point, when you look specifically at the RB position it is littered with guys who signed big fat contracts then fell off the face of the earth (see Bennett's list).

I'm not certain CJ1.8YPC is really done. But his swoon could not have come at a worse time for Forte.

Shaun Alexander is a prime example. After an MVP type season in 2005 and a trip to Super Bowl XL, Alexander signed an 8-year deal for $62 million ($15M salary in 2006 plus an additional $15M guaranteed). After injury plagued seasons in 2006 & 2007, he tried to return in 2008 at the age of 31. Dude just could not play any longer. He still collected that $30 million from the Seabastards, though.

It is grossly unfair Forte is not earning what he should be earning. He showed up (as opposed to holding out). He is playing hard and is producing on the field. But he has history working against him.

If I were Matt Forte, I would consider sending a few dozen dead black roses to the likes of CJ1.8YPC, Alexander, Steven Davis and Clinton Portis.

And don't forget the Shanarat. While Bill Parcells famously used multiple RBs, he almost never let one of them achieve anything like stardom (thus nipping the "I wanna get paid!" bug before it ever became an issue). The Shanarat? Not so much. He foolishly stroked his own ego by 'producing' a seemingly endless string of 1000+ rushers only to let them go to other teams for high $$ only to lay eggs when not in Shanny's system.
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.