Thread: Madden and Coaching

Madden and Coaching

For anyone who hasn't read this, you should.

The Franchise: The Inside Story of How Madden NFL Became a Video Game Dynasty
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/etick...=100805/madden

My favorite part:
    Talk turns back to real football. The Super Bowl. Indianapolis versus New Orleans. In the first half, Saints coach Sean Payton went for a touchdown on fourth-and-goal, eschewing a "gimme" field goal. He opened the second half with an onside kick. Madden watched the whole thing from his California studio, incredulous and oddly transfixed. Even now, two months later, the old coach knows exactly what he was seeing. "I was thinking, 'S---,'" Madden marveled, "'this guy is playing a video game!'"

Is Sean Payton a freak of nature or do you think as time goes on, younger coaches who have played the games might use that experience to determine their own coaching styles and decisions? Do you think there's an era of risk-takers in the near future?
    Last edited by Jaco; 08-11-2010 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Clarification, so you know what it is you should read

I wish I could find the article about the high school coach who got rid of the punter. I can't remember the name but he did a good job presenting math that showed always going for it on 4th was a plus in the long run. His team won the state championship twice in a row if I recall correctly.

Sean Payton knew the field goals and timid play wouldn't beat the Colts and he had enough balls to go for the throat.

Totally agree. I couldn't believe the onside kick...pure and wonderful madness. Gotta give the guy his due. The article's more about the history of the Madden video games, though, and Madden's comment at the end alluded to the idea that Payton was playing the Super Bowl like he would one of his games.

That just made me wonder; we've seen players who are using techniques from the Madden series (I think Brandon Stokely running along the outside of the endzone to waste time on the clock is cited in the article) to influence their play, so it makes sense that eventually we will see coaches who do the same, right?

4. Quote Originally Posted by msclemons View Post
    I wish I could find the article about the high school coach who got rid of the punter. I can't remember the name but he did a good job presenting math that showed always going for it on 4th was a plus in the long run. His team won the state championship twice in a row if I recall correctly.

Sean Payton knew the field goals and timid play wouldn't beat the Colts and he had enough balls to go for the throat.
    Ask and you shall receive. Kevin Kelley - somewhere in Arkansas.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...unt/index.html

I would imagine there are already young anonymous assistants who make recommendations based on their Madden experience. They might not consciously think of Madden but playing hundreds and hundreds of games is going to leave an imprint on the brain. I know my first thought on any tough play is "quick out to Jerry Rice!".

4th and 24? Quick out to Jerry.
    3rd and 18, on own 2, 30 seconds left in game? Quick out to Jerry.

(I played Madden a looong time ago)

Blog Entries
    I think it has more to do with the sophistication of the coaches in general....people are running numbers instead of bowing to conventional wisdom. 4th and 2 last year with Belichick against the Colts was the right call.
    “Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

I don't think you can accuse Payton of playing video games...'4th & 2' and the Onside kick both were called to take away a possession from an elite offense, and Belichick can hardly be accused of being influenced by madden.

Blog Entries
    Classic words from John Madden!!! I think that younger coaches are influenced by video games. They have kids and they play the games like the players do. I can picture Raheem Morris playing Madden and the same for Mike Tomlin. I think that not every coach can be said to play Madden but the ones influenced by it may have their game experience mapped in their skills as coach.
    "This Game is Not For the Faint of Heart" --Bill Parcells

Facebook.com/BuckeyeRidley

Quote Originally Posted by victormallet View Post
    I don't think you can accuse Payton of playing video games...'4th & 2' and the Onside kick both were called to take away a possession from an elite offense, and Belichick can hardly be accused of being influenced by madden.
    I agree. But I do think at some point it will be a factor. Soon I would think. I am 32 and I had the original John Madden Football on my computer. I have owned every single version since (except 2011, not yet at least). It could be noticeable in the next generation of coaches.