Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The New Lions?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
    Done.
    Sorry. You took a nap for several years. Cleveland is NOT 0-for-Superbowl, neither is Houston.

This thread is starting to sound like two old men kvetching about their aches and pains!

I'll agree that the Browns did have a good decade under Marty and before that had a couple good years with Sipe.

And while I acknowledge that the Lions have never - in the time since the merger - had as good a run as the Browns did a quarter century ago...

There's the small matters of Red Right 88, the Drive and the Fumble.

(SIGH)

And the Lions present and future looks a hell of a lot better than what is happening in Cleveland.
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

Blog Entries
    Let me give you some advice. The GM/Prez/Whatever is THE Key. A good one can turn it around and give hope in about 3 years. Hope, not SuperBowls. Unfortunately the GM is hired by the owner, so if you have a bad hiring owner, you could be toast for a LOOOOOONNNNNG time.

But 3 good drafts and things will look up.

And weren't people on the up tick last year with McCoy?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by darvon View Post
    Let me give you some advice. The GM/Prez/Whatever is THE Key. A good one can turn it around and give hope in about 3 years. Hope, not SuperBowls. Unfortunately the GM is hired by the owner, so if you have a bad hiring owner, you could be toast for a LOOOOOONNNNNG time.
    I'm getting depressed myself now...
    “Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

Quote Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
    Millen is the Gretzky of suck, so his standard will never be reached.
    This.
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

But 3 good drafts and things will look up.

And weren't people on the up tick last year with McCoy?
    Not too many years ago, Derek Anderson was in Hawaii for the pro bowl.

Damn! It's nowhere near 5:00 yet...
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

Rinse and Repeat for 50 years and you have it.
    Bad, but not that bad. In the last 50 years, the Lions made the playoffs in 1982, 1983, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1997, 1999. They won the NFC Central in 1983, 1991, 1993.

Not great, I agree. But not the end of the world. The last decade, though? Ouch!

The GM/Prez/Whatever is THE Key.
    I agree completely. And personally I'm convinced that Mike Holmgren, like Bill Parcells, is better on the sidelines than in the front office.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
    Bad, but not that bad. In the last 50 years, the Lions made the playoffs in 1982, 1983, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1997, 1999. They won the NFC Central in 1983, 1991, 1993.

Not great, I agree. But not the end of the world. The last decade, though? Ouch!

Also 1970. When we lost to Dallas 5-0. What a shootout.

The 60s and 70s and 80s were a loss. With Barry Saunders and Herman Moore we had a great offense in the 90s, but won only 1 playoff game in 6 seasons of playoffs. It sorta wears on you. But Detroit used to hang at 8-8 and 9-7 all the time. Actually losing 0-16 was refreshing.

But we learned not to hope. It takes a long time with no results.

Even now, I don't think Detroit is hoping. We are tickled, but our expectations are still rock bottom.

Blog Entries
    But we learned not to hope. It takes a long time with no results.

Even now, I don't think Detroit is hoping. We are tickled, but our expectations are still rock bottom.
    I know what you mean. My real first love is Universidad de Chile. It took 25 years, and in between we were relegated to division 2 in Chile, a mark of shame like the 0-16 season. But hitting rock bottom does allow you to know that there is only one way but up. And that first championship in your own lifetime, that's the sweetest feeling a fan can have. But it's hard to get your hopes up, having been kicked in the teeth for so long.
    “Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte