Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The New Lions?

“I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

Blog Entries
    That bad longsnap was one nasty kick in the junk.
    “Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

What the Lions hired Mike Brown away?
    Sweet!!!
    Thank you Detroit.
    Quote Originally Posted by darvon View Post
    And also make sure your GM/Pres/Whatever is THE international standard for ineptitude and longevity in the face of bad performance.

Blog Entries
    Y'all have nailed it. The key is in how you build a roster that can win. 53 guys with the right stuff. It takes guts to clean house, guaranteeing a few more horrible years, when you take over a Detroit or Cleveland. The need to fill seats wins out. Ted Thompson was able to build the roster he has because he had the guts to take the flak, and the stadium would be full no matter how bad the product on the field was.

Absolutely agree.

However, a competent GM like Thompson can somehow make the transition with only a season or two of pain for the fans. In cleveland, there has been nothing since the mid-season run five seasons ago. How does a 5-11 team get worse? And how has it happened over and over in Cleveland?

(Rhetorical questions)

These ten year long rebuilding programs wear on you after a while.
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

Blog Entries
    For true, Pru. Ted T learned his craft from Ron Wolf, and while Wolf never walked on water, he had a systematic approach to building a roster. Thompson took those lessons, added his own insights, and hit the road to put his own eyes on young players. When you look at how he built the Packers, he first looked for young men of a certain character. Then he looked at his stopwatch. If either one of those things wasn't where it needed to be, Ted usually took a pass. But early on, it looked like it could go either way. Maybe good fortune is a bigger part of it than I like to admit.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestree View Post
    But early on, it looked like it could go either way. Maybe good fortune is a bigger part of it than I like to admit.
    Circumstances are huge. If Aaron Rodgers hadn't dropped in the draft, he wouldn't be the same man he is now. If he hadn't had all that time with his QB coach, he wouldn't have perfected his mechanics. Phil Simms said last year that he had seen Rodgers throw as a rookie, and then as a 4th year player, and it was differnt. Way different. Even that first year with a sieve of an OL helped him improve his game.

A solid front office helps give players the time to develop.

I'm angry at the Bears again....
    “Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by iwatt View Post
    A solid front office helps give players the time to develop.

I'm angry at the Bears again....
    I'm feelin' ya, but the Bears really are a pretty good team, no?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestree View Post
    I'm feelin' ya, but the Bears really are a pretty good team, no?
    Right now. But they're an old team, with lack of talent on skill positions, and an Urlacher injury away from mediocre defense. Urlacher calling the shots upgrades that team. Peppers is great, but he's not a young guy either. Our best corner is old. We run a group of traffic cones on the OL.

I'm been *****y on a thread for the Browns, but I'm worried about the future for the Bears. The Packers are set for a long time, and the Lions are looking stable as well. We might be better than them this year, but we've drafted so badly, and managed our roster so poorly we will begin an inevitable decline.

Look I like Cutler, I hope we lock up Forte. Bennet is a top 5 slot receiver. We have a solid DL rotation, and there is time to develop/draft to upgrade it. But our LB corps has no depth, and it's the real strength of our team. Something happens there, and we are in real trouble.

All the things that worry me are things that a good front office could help overcome. We don't have that good front office. And our division rivals do.
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

Blog Entries
    Sweet analysis, I see your point Iwatt. Still, a good, good draft and some undrafted free agent hits could turn your sour grapes into fine Chilean wine, my friend.