Thread: Bengals O-Line

Bengals O-Line

Do the Bengals have the talent to shore up their pass protection? Is it a mattr of time or talent? It's the same line from last year. I don't understand why they can't give Palmer time.

It would be interesting to get Lap's view on this. I've heard elsewhere that it takes about 3 yrs. for an O-line to play as a cohesive unit and this coming season will be their 2nd together. I do think there is enough individual talent to be a good line but I'm not so sure if it will ever evolve into a great one that can both run and pass block. They've had success in the runing game obviously but do they have the talent to evolve into a capable pass blocking line? I'm honestly concerned that the ability to effectivly do that is lacking in the line as it's currently manned.
    My hypocrisy goes only so far.

the fact that everyone is returning is HUGE for them.

Also, last year they started 3 undrafted guys with a combined 6 career starts (Livings, Roland, Cook). Now all those guys have a year's worth of experience under their belt.

Bobbie looks like he's lost weight, which was sorely needed.

IMO Andre will be starting week 1. Its a weight issue, not his foot. When he played last year, no one came close to Carson. See Chad's long TD's against Detroit and San Diego as examples. Both plays andre was the RT.

I think the Bengals oline is on the right track with anchors at LT (Whit) C (Cook) and RT (Andre).

Going forward, need to settle on a LG and groom Bobbie's replacement.

One thing that plays into how this years line will be percieved is the addition of T.O., Gresham and Shipley. Last year, Carson had basically 1 obvious option in the passing game so it was wait for Ocho to free up. My feeling is this perhaps made the line appear to be worse than it really was. Now, if there is a breakdown, he'll have other targets to dump off to. From the sound of things, this week in Georgetown saw the passing game improve a lot so we should see a better performance this Sunday (fingers crossed).

As far as Andre, I hope to high heaven you're right. Marvin calling him out didn't boost my confidence any, but maybe it was a push to get him over the top and out onto the field.

Woot!!! Finally lost the "Junior Member" moniker
    Last edited by StarvinMarvin; 08-12-2010 at 10:36 PM.

They are a really good run blocking line, not so great at pass blocking. Susceptible to speed rushers on both sides, especially the right. The biggest difference on the line last year was Kyle Cook replacing Eric Ghiaciuc at center. A huge upgrade in both ability and line calls (I heard that Whitworth used to have to make the calls for Ghiaciuc). I do expect them to be better at pass blocking than they were last year, just because they have spent more time together, but they still won't be great.

Is that official that they are waiting on Andre to lose weight? It's not the foot as well? He's only got to lose 30 lb's. WHen you're that fat it should beeasier. Get him some slim fast. Andre is really blowing it. I think all of Bengal fans want to love the guy. He just has to show he cares a little. Come on man!

While I've seen nothing "official" you can reasonably infer from Marvin Lewis' comments that it's more a conditioning problem than a foot problem at this point.

Said Lewis:
    “If he doesn’t get to where I want him to get in the time frame I want him to get there,” said Lewis of the list that would knock Smith out of the first six weeks of the regular season.
    “Andre is going to figure out how to become a pro and do things the way it’s asked to do all the time. Hopefully he continues to do it in a timely fashion. Otherwise, I’m not going to go through this year in and year out.”

I don't think even Marvin can cause a bone to heal faster, suggesting that it is his getting into "football shape".
    Last edited by StarvinMarvin; 08-15-2010 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by walzav31 View Post
    Is that official that they are waiting on Andre to lose weight? It's not the foot as well? He's only got to lose 30 lb's. WHen you're that fat it should beeasier. Get him some slim fast. Andre is really blowing it. I think all of Bengal fans want to love the guy. He just has to show he cares a little. Come on man!

I don't know that his foot is quite 100%, but I've seen and heard about some of the conditioning drills they are putting him through, and they wouldn't be doing them if they were concerned about his foot. They're putting him through hell.

This is about losing weight and developing the discipline and work ethic to keep it off. IMO.

9. A lot of people in the organization wanted Smith to get on the practice field earlier than he did. But Marvin wanted to make a statement I think, that until he approaches his reporting weight of 350.. na baby na. He weighed in over 370, but is now aproaching the weight Marvin wants him at. Too bad because the kid has explosiveness when in condition. He would make a difference at RT. The pass protection improved dramatically from the Dallas game to the Denver game. (Let's face it, big difference in talent). There was no space in the pocket for the QB to have proper vision downfield. He has to be able to step up in the pocket, stride to the line of scrimmage, transfer his weight and have no fear of being blown up. The OL gave the QBs space to operate in the pocket vs. Denver. I will say that this group of OL has great work ethic, is accountable and cares about each other. The longer they play together, the better they will get. Having everyone back and the continuity that goes with that is huge.