Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: ELIte or eLITE?

ELIte or eLITE?

Living in NJ, I'm exposed to a TON of Giants coverage. The new nickname going around is "ELIte". It's cute, but I don't necessarily think it's accurate. Eli's 2 INTs were costly and one directly led to a SF TD that turned out to be the deciding factor. He did play well against a stout San Fran D, but those mistakes stick out to me. So many Giants fans are quick to say that those INTs are placed squarely on the shoulders of the WRs for running the wrong routes, but how long are we going to hear that excuse before blame starts getting shifted to Eli? At some point, as the QB, he is going to have to figure out how to reel those guys in and have them play coordinated football. Eli needs to start working harder with those guys to get on the same page. His 20+ INT season was largely blamed on his WRs running poor routes and if that's the case this year again, I'm losing sympathy quickly. What say you?
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

I think Eli is a very good QB who is a little too careless with the football and thinks he has a stronger arm than he really has. I don't think that ever changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sander View Post
    I think Eli is a very good QB who is a little too careless with the football and thinks he has a stronger arm than he really has. I don't think that ever changes.
    Completely agree, haha just try telling that to Giants fans around here.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

Eli is an above average QB who got hot during the 2007 playoffs, probably due to divine intervention because of the Belichcik/Brady ego trip (someone needed to teach them a lesson other than Brett Favre Ego-led Packers). Makes sense to me because Eli seems to be a genuinely humble dude but he makes WAY too many mistakes in the redzone to be considered ELITE IMO. Although I used to think Peyton was pretty humble until his spat with Phil Simms and his "I don't watch your show" comment. I know Peyton's frustrated about this year, but really? Phil wasn't being malicious, he was actually trying to deflame any upcoming flames, if that makes any sense.

Eli has one of the 2 or 3 strongest and deadliest arms in the league. how many QBs in the league AREN'T careless at times...rodgers/brady..anyone else? id put Eli behind those two, Ben and probably Brees. Rivers is proving he isnt elite. top 5 QB sounds like elite to me.

as a niners fan, nothing felt safe until we were taking a knee yesterday. without a doubt: ELITE!

Quote Originally Posted by Ripperlicious View Post
    Eli is an above average QB who got hot during the 2007 playoffs, probably due to divine intervention because of the Belichcik/Brady ego trip (someone needed to teach them a lesson other than Brett Favre Ego-led Packers). Makes sense to me because Eli seems to be a genuinely humble dude but he makes WAY too many mistakes in the redzone to be considered ELITE IMO. Although I used to think Peyton was pretty humble until his spat with Phil Simms and his "I don't watch your show" comment. I know Peyton's frustrated about this year, but really? Phil wasn't being malicious, he was actually trying to deflame any upcoming flames, if that makes any sense.
    Agree with this for the most part. Eli is above average and many teams would be grateful to have him as QB. He still has too many Jekyl or Hyde moments to be top tier for me. I'd put consistency ahead of arm strength as a requirement for that label. Still like him a lot though.

As for Peyton - yeah, of course, he's frustrated. But he's never been a humble guy. More like cautious/media savvy. Rippin' on Phil was goofy, bordering on classless.
    These are my principles and if you don't like them ... well ... I have others. ~ Groucho

Blog Entries
    Eli is a heck of a quarterback. Too much of a gunslinger, but that was an elite D he was playing yesterday. With gunslingers, you have to take the good with the bad. He will win games he has no business winning, but he'll throw some picks that you will look back and say D'oh.

Not everybody can be Joe Montana or Tom Brady.
    “Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

8. I'd take Eli over every NFC QB other than Brees and Rodges. But just the same, if the Giants met the Saints in the playoffs and Eli outplayed Brees, I wouldn't be surprised at all. I think when this season is over, any rational thinking person will have Eli ahead of Vick and Rivers on their QB rankings based not just on this season, but on their careers.

Blog Entries
    One very lucky throw and catch or Eli is just guy.

10. Quote Originally Posted by bluestree View Post
    One very lucky throw and catch or Eli is just guy.
    I think it's really ignorant to call that Tyree catch lucky. The ball was in the air, it was either gonna be him or Rodney Harrison who made a big play, and he made the play.